Belly Dance Lessons Online - anyone know this teacher?

Darshiva

She's an OMEDA member and a sweet person. As far as her teaching goes, I don't know. I've never taken any classes or workshops with her. I am, however, very annoyed at her for setting this up for free after we talked about online classes as I feel that she is undercutting otherteachers (including myself) who offer online classes by giving it away for free.

Habiba

I am, however, very annoyed at her for setting this up for free after we talked about online classes as I feel that she is undercutting otherteachers (including myself) who offer online classes by giving it away for free.

Hi Darshiva,

Is she really giving them away though? I felt it was more of a teaser to get you in to pay later on.

Cheers,

Habiba

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Hi Darshiva,

Is she really giving them away though? I felt it was more of a teaser to get you in to pay later on.

Cheers,

Habiba

I actually got that feeling as well. The "free" is just the first 8 lessons kind of a BD teaser:D
~Mosaic

Shanazel

I have mixed feelings about teachers "giving it away free" and whether or not it undermines other teachers.

In the best of all possible worlds everyone would charge the same fees and teachers would be chosen on merit and appropriateness alone and we all would get exactly what we deserve. In actuality underselling or offering a loss leader are common ways of pulling in customers who will eventually be charged fees more in line with what is normal. To maintain customer/student satisfaction, however, a teacher has to offer more than low prices. Habibi Tutu down the street may set herself up as belly dance teacher to the masses for a dollar an hour but how long is she going to be able to afford to teach and how long is she going to hold student attention? Students may get a taste of dance from Tutu and yet head for my classes because they want something more than what was being offered at a dollar an hour.

We could try to form a Belly Dance Teacher union, have the union negotiate prices, and picket against non-union teachers and employers, but I suspect that would be about as successful as the union the exotic dancers tried to form in San Francisco some years back.

The internet is full of free belly dance classes and Amazon is replete with How to Belly Dance dvds. That's okay with me; I have more than one student who started that way and decided she needed more. Free internet classes have actually worked in my favor in that someone else provided a loss leader that I didn't have to pay for. :D

One cannot always use lemons to make lemonade but one may as well try.

Darshiva

Good points, ones I hadn't considered.

From her ads I got the impression that they were free classes not tasters. Maybe I'm just so paranoid about my own local area that I just mistrust people by instinct now?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I believe those who truly want to learn will always end up seeking the best teacher they can afford. I have 2 teachers and pay full fees to both each term. I teach at a community centre and relief teach for one of my teachers. I could take "lessons" for free on the internet but I personally prefer a physical teacher, one I can say can you do that again please as you lost me along the way, someone you can stand behind/level with etc and follow what is being done - things gell a lot quicker that way, as the teacher is in the room with you and can pick up the small stuff you may be doing incorrectly ( & the big stuff). I also like the class atmosphere and I think serious students will always where possible seek out classes, the hands on class offers so much more IMHO.

Yes I have gone to youtube to check out various movements and like to see how different dancers put their own stamp on things and I have taken some of that knowledge to boost my own skills, just like I do with DVDs. but all free or otherwise classes on the internet just don't do a thing for me.:D
~Mosaic

The internet is full of free belly dance classes and Amazon is replete with How to Belly Dance dvds. That's okay with me; I have more than one student who started that way and decided she needed more. Free internet classes have actually worked in my favor in that someone else provided a loss leader that I didn't have to pay for. :D

I think that's true. Learning to dance from a DVD or video is never very satisfactory, especially when you're just beginning, and I can't see many people sticking with it for long (unless they don't have a choice because there are no dance schools nearby).

I'm really curious whether Chani's strategy is working. She is offering them as a "taster" for a paid course, (although it's not clear from her site) - but it seems to me, the kind of people who search for "free belly dance classes online" are not the kind of people who will pay for the next level. So is she actually getting any paying customers?

jjj

I'm using youtube to get the feel for the dance. Like a few of the ladies mention once I know what type of BD i want to go for I will buy the appropriate DVD. Once I have time on my hands I'm definitely going to find a class.

As good as an internet or dvd is it does not compare to a real teacher.

teela

I think online lessons can be a wonderful way to supplement your dance, take from a teacher who lives in a place you may not be able to travel to, or to let you see if a teachers style is one you like and want to learn. That being said, there are some negatives. First, you have to have a bandwidth that allows you to receive the complete lesson without blowing your daily allowance, without stuttering and stopping, etc. Second, many beginners go to Youtube to learn and since they are beginners, they do not know if the person offering the "lessons" really knows the material or if they are a 6 week wonder. Third, we don't always know the credentials of the person offering the lessons which means we do not know their skill level.
Just some thoughts on part. I know there are a few teachers I would love to take their on-line classes but I live in such a remote part of the country that I can only do major downloads or video watching between 10PM and 6 AM. Even then, its problamatic if there is a power failure. I love having the option to purchase the class on a DVD even if it is one that is burned when I place the order.

Charni

I am the teacher of these Online eClasses

A friend told me you were asking questions about my Onlline learning classes, so I thought it would help if I answered them in person.

Yes I am the dancer Darshiva knows, I am on the committee of OMEDA and have been for 5 years. I have been teaching for 9 years here in Melbourne under Happy Hips Belly Dance. I am sorry, Darshiva, if you are upset about my classes, though I am unsure as to why. You are teaching remotely through Skype. My format is quite different, as I offer weekly progressive classes sent to their inbox. Please feel free to email or PM me if you have any more concerns.

You are all quite right that the "free" classes are a bit of a teaser. The aim is not to give it all away for free - as it was pointed out, there are a lot of free how-to videos on YouTube, and as you would also know, they are of variable quality.

The free eclasses are to give people a taste for my teaching style to see if it suits them, and give them a few basic moves to get them started and excited. If they like them they can become a member, and for a monthly fee, they get a weekly eClass for them to do at a time that suits them, plus props such as hip scarves, veils etc. The classes build up in difficulty, so someone who is an absolute beginner can start, and if they want to attend a "live" class later on, they have been taught the basics, as well as background, history, context, choreographies etc. I also give video feedback tutorials, so I can assess each student's technique and give personal feedback to improve.

The students who choose to learn this way are from all around the world. They are people who cannot normally attend a regular class due to distance, have a baby or ill person at home, work odd hours or have timetable clashes. (I'm sure all you teachers have heard the same from potential students!) I also get students who are too shy, and want to get some confidence before starting. I also have students with learning difficulties, such as a disability or age and need to be able to repeat a class over and over or rewind a section as often as they need, without holding up a whole class! At no point do I advocate that my way is better than a live teacher, after all I teach "live" classes myself and attend them!

I hope this has answered the questions, I am always happy to help!

Shimmies, Charni
Belly Dance Lessons Online