Making nylon thread cooperate?

indrayu

How??

I'm currently making and attaching at both ends, swag-style, short strings of beads using triple strands of fine nylon thread, but the stuff is slipping and springing everywhere!

Chose it for being almost invisible and very flexible, tripled for extra security (although I'm sewing all three strands together. Hope the attachments don't work loose!)

Does anyone out there have any tips?

SeeJaneDance

You might try using beeswax with it. I've heard of using regular cotton thread and pressing beeswax in it to add strength (you run the thread through the wax, then iron it--I wouldn't iron nylon thread, though), but maybe it'd also help make the nylon a little more cooperative?

LilithNoor

I have to admit, I've given up using the nylon filament thread because it's so uncooperative. You may have some success using a tiny dab of glue on the knots to keep them in place, as it's so slippery.

I tend to use doubled up standard thread to sew beads on, as it's so much easier to handle.

indrayu

Ah, there's some thoughts! The tackiness of beeswax might help keep the strands together at the ends while sewing, and craft glue to keep it in place afterwards.

Shanazel

I loath nylon thread and the idea of using triple strands is enough to give me nightmares. :shok: Let us know how the beeswax works on controlling kinks. I generally use good quality cotton carpet thread with wax melted into it or dental floss (new floss, please) for beading costumes. Won't work with seed beads (too thinck) but tiny beads don't show up all that well anyway so I don't use them.

Aniseteph

I'm pretty sure beeswax will just slide right off - take care it doesn't end up on the rest of your work.

For me the invisibility and strength isn't a good enough trade for lack of drape, awkward handling and the fact that you can't sew it in as reliably. I don't trust it not to spring back and undo itself.

indrayu

A swipe or two of the ends through a lump of beeswax, and those wayward individualists were working as a team!

I had the evening's work laid out in rows on the beading board and was sewing off the first one, marvelling at how much time was being saved now that the threads were all going in the right direction, when my mother's dog bounded in. One friendly leap, and Swarovski crystals and those expensive Japanese seed beads were everywhere! Not just that, but because she treats him by tossing a handful of little dog biscuits on to the floor for him to find, Henry thought it was Christmas all over again.

I've read about sparklefarts, but never thought I might be in circumstances to actually see one :shok:

Well, that stage of the process is done. The strings have only to drape a short distance, so the look is what I anticipated. But yes, there's the concern about staying attached. The costume won't get a lot of use: I'm not a "crystal-standard" dancer, more plastic aspiring to be glass ;) All up, even with some losses to the dog, it will be cheaper than buying a bottom of the range ready-made.