Someone please advise

xotic

Does any one know any good teachers in the London area who are willing to take on male students?

I'm a really talented dancer and I want to get into belly dance. I already know a lot of belly dance moves I just need to learn how to put it all together. I been dancing since a very young age, I grew up in Cyprus so I'm familiar with belly dance. Since I've been in the UK my main dancing style has been Dancehall (Jamaican) though, it's not really the same, belly dance is gracefull, where as Dancehall is the complete opposite, very erotic but some of the moves are similar if not similarly excecuted (if that makes any sense).

It's a shame I can't show you because I had video's on youtube but had to take them off because of the homophobic abuse I recieved. Anyway's I'm a quick learner and I just need someone to show me the basics.

Any suggestions?

leila_yu

In recent oriental dance festival, held in Cairo, I had a workshop with a very famous male dancer..his name is Khaled Mahmoud.He is magnificant dancer and a great teacher, arabian by origin, married with and english, I think, as they told us, he works and lives in London.
I don't have any information about the adress or his phone number, but try a google search by his name and I am sure you will find useful data.
It will maybe even be more comfortable for you to learn from a male dancer.
100% percent quality!!!!he is fatastic!!!! :)
Good luck and if you reach him, do write some comments!!!

xotic

yay!

Ok thanx a lot guys. I'm going take a look at these and make a few phone calls...I'll let you know the outcome.

And yes I agree..it would probably help to learn from a male teacher.

Thank's again anyways. :D

Last edited:

leila_yu

I found Khaled Mahmoud's official web-site, here is it:
khaled-goldenhips.co.uk, in section "bookings" you have an email adress on which you can contact him about all the information for classes, shows and workshops....
Good luck, again and let's hope we'll have one more belly dance star!! :D

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
And yes I agree..it would probably help to learn from a male teacher.
Don't be too quick to assume this...

It may well be true, or it may not. It really depends on the individual student, and the individual teacher, regardless of gender.

All other things being equal, I *MUCH* prefer a female instructor - I feel I'm more likely to get an unfiltered viewpoint of the dance. I've had SOME male instructors want to masculinize - and others who have not.

This said, I *REALLY* do like Khaled's look...

As the saying goes, "Your Mileage May Vary"...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Last edited:

xotic

Thank you soooooo much, I googled it but didn't think twice about clicking on the link thinking it was irrelevant to what I'd been looking for. The description on google doesn't say much so I didn't think anything of it. Thank goodness for you :pray:

And yes I am very determined to do this, I love dancing but where I've grown up around it, I didn't really appreciate it I suppose, just saw it as ordinary dancing and nothing special. Plus I never knew men belly danced,watching the likes of Tito, Tarik, Jamil and Orgun have totally inspired me.

I'm on the site now and it's just what I was looking for. I can't thank you enough..I'll let you know how it goes :D

Much appreciated,
Levent

xotic

Don't be too quick to assume this...

It may well be true, or it may not. It really depends on the individual student, and the individual teacher, regardless of gender.

All other things being equal, I *MUCH* prefer a female instructor - I feel I'm more likely to get an unfiltered viewpoint of the dance. I've had SOME male instructors want to masculinize - and others who have not.

This said, I *REALLY* do like Khaled's look...

As the saying goes, "Your Mileage May Vary"...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Yeah I understand. I wouldn't mind taking lesson's from a female teacher, I'd probably be a little shy to begin with though, so I have a feeling I might feel a little intimidated being tought by a female in a room full of female student's. Would feel a little out of place, but I understand where you're coming from Zorba. I'll see how it goes anyways, I too like Khaled's look :D

Safran

Unfortunately I can't provide much new information, but I strongly support Leila's suggestion. I took a workshop with Khaled in the autumn and he is great! And I know there are quite a few other fans of him on this board ;)