Please tell me why I shouldn't buy this fabric

Bast

I am getting a costume made and have been searching around for fabric.
I came across this silk satin printed with lotus flowers.

I can't afford it, I'm sure.

Besides it would be completley unsuitable for a skirt and bra, right?

I can't get it out of my head. Wish I could have unseen it!

LilithNoor

DO IT!

Sorry, that was probably not the answer you wanted, but I can see that making a goooorgeous costume!

Shanazel

I wouldn't use it for a bra because the print is too large. I wouldn't use it for a skirt because silk satin is ungodly expensive and no doubt would get irretrievably stained the first time it got worn. It has a tropical feel that I wouldn't normally associate with middle eastern costumes and might arouse comments re: whether the wearer knows the difference between the middle east and the far east. Also (and perhpas most importantly) if placement of the design was not carefully, carefully planned those long pink thingies with the black center could look suspiciously um... female.

There. Did that help? :cool:

(It really is a gorgeous piece of fabric.)

Aniseteph

Oh yeah, seeing the pink thingies now... :shok: :lol:

It is beautiful fabric but I agree it could be a design challenge to make a belly dance costume that works. If it was me and I HAD to have it I'd do a skirt and make a more traditional bra/belt set that picked up the colours, and add some big matching flowers, maybe up one strap on the bra. That way the skirt becomes part of a coordinated look rather than screaming look at meee, the matching flowers say yeah, I KNOW, I'm doing tropical with the skirt print OK?, but the bedlah/beading keeps it in belly dance country.

/overthinking it

But then I'd think about how much it would cost to do a decent skirt, source and buy the beads, hemming circle skirts in slippery fabric (noooooo!!!!) and I would have plenty of reasons to Just Say No. Also my fabric stash is full. :redface:

indrayu

Ooh, gorgeous fabric!

It is beautiful fabric but I agree it could be a design challenge to make a belly dance costume that works. If it was me and I HAD to have it I'd do a skirt and make a more traditional bra/belt set that picked up the colours, and add some big matching flowers, maybe up one strap on the bra. That way the skirt becomes part of a coordinated look rather than screaming look at meee, the matching flowers say yeah, I KNOW, I'm doing tropical with the skirt print OK?, but the bedlah/beading keeps it in belly dance country.
My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure I've seen some lotus motifs in ancient Egyptian wall paintings. Maybe find a skirt or decoration design with a subtle reference there (not keen on the full temple reconstruction theme myself) so we know what part of the world this dance is coming from.

(forgot how to quote part of someone else's post. The shading over Aniseteph's part has gone missing)

Last edited:

Bast

Thank you girls, I'm glad I slept on it.
I'll leave this for now, perhaps an evening dress in the future.

AndreaSTL

:mad: Devil's advocate here. Are you most attracted to the print or the colors in the print? If it's the colors you could buy a small amount, ruche (sp?) it, and use it as an accent on the bra and belt. The bra and belt coverings and skirt could be in solid or mottled single color fabric. I hope this makes sense!

It's a beautiful piece of material, but I have to agree that just using it as is wouldn't best be suited for a belly dance costume.

Amulya

I like the fabric, for a dress, not sure if it could work for belly dance. Doesn't work for a bra and belt, maybe as belly dance dress, but I have no idea how to do that. I think the pattern would distract from the dncing itself.

I'd buy it and make a (non belly dance) dress out of it!