Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I don't know too much in details but when I learn oriental, I do lots of traditional movement we normally see. And when I learn fusion, I do much more experimental thing. For example in my last show I used very asian music. That sounded like Chinese music with simple drum sounds and flute.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sasa View Post
    Well, I don't know too much in details but when I learn oriental, I do lots of traditional movement we normally see. And when I learn fusion, I do much more experimental thing. For example in my last show I used very asian music. That sounded like Chinese music with simple drum sounds and flute.
    That sounds neat. I'm sure you were a hit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjj View Post
    Is their a difference between Oriental and Egyptian?
    Oriental dance is the original name for the dance, Egyptian is one regional style of Oriental dance. In other words all khaki are pants but not all pants are khaki.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Oriental dance is the original name for the dance, Egyptian is one regional style of Oriental dance. In other words all khaki are pants but not all pants are khaki.
    Gotcha, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum Jay! Happy reading and posting, and best wishes to you for 2012! I hope this year will give you the time you need for a live bellydance class!

As for picking a style, I would say... pick nothing yet. Instead, buy a beginners DVD that is geared toward learning basic movement and good posture, solid techniques. Search in online stores and seek out Youtube trailers for the ones that appeal to you. If you're in doubt, search this forum or ask around here, as many dvd's have been discussed here and we will be happy to share our ideas!

There are a few threads already on which beginners DVDs are good, though I don't have much time to find them right now. I bet they are not hard to find though

Take the one that appeals to you most. In the end, all styles need a solid movement base, and any beginner DVD of good quality will give you that!
    If you like the particular style the dvd is in, it might be good to stick with it and find a live class in that style. If not, time to look for something else.

Most of all, have fun learning and trying!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum Jay! Happy reading and posting, and best wishes to you for 2012! I hope this year will give you the time you need for a live bellydance class!

As for picking a style, I would say... pick nothing yet. Instead, buy a beginners DVD that is geared toward learning basic movement and good posture, solid techniques. Search in online stores and seek out Youtube trailers for the ones that appeal to you. If you're in doubt, search this forum or ask around here, as many dvd's have been discussed here and we will be happy to share our ideas!

There are a few threads already on which beginners DVDs are good, though I don't have much time to find them right now. I bet they are not hard to find though

Take the one that appeals to you most. In the end, all styles need a solid movement base, and any beginner DVD of good quality will give you that!
    If you like the particular style the dvd is in, it might be good to stick with it and find a live class in that style. If not, time to look for something else.

Most of all, have fun learning and trying!
    Bellydancing can be very confusing at times So much to learn.

Your input is appreciated and your absolutely right they all have a solid movement base from what I can see.

Thank you for the warm welcome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12