So Happy to Have Found You All!!!

jjj

Hi, I go by Jay and I have been intrigue with belly dancing before I could even read. Can't say I know how to dance but I love watching you belly dancers and love the music. No matter what type of belly dancing it is; it's still beautiful to me.

I know one day when I have time on my hands I will try and take lessons. I'm 30 years old so I need to pick something up to keep my body from going down heel also ;)

Can't wait to read all your tips and advise to learn the ropes.

Oh, and HaPpY NeW YeArS!!!!!!!!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Hope you find that spare time soon - I am sure you'll love the dance even more once you get some lessons under your hip belt:D
~Mosaic

jjj

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm going through post here and boy do I need to catch up on some of the vocabulary here.

Is there a belly dance dictionary so I can know what moves are what?

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm going through post here and boy do I need to catch up on some of the vocabulary here.

Is there a belly dance dictionary so I can know what moves are what?
It is very difficult to have a dictionary as what one person calls a movement can be called something else by another. But there have been a few attempts at naming steps/movements by various dancers. Do a google search. Just reading the names won't really tell you how to do them though.
~Mosaic

SeeJaneDance

Hi, there! After your google search, do a youtube search! It helps a lot if you can see the moves done, since a lot of the bits of them can sound similar.

Sasa

Hi, I go by Jay and I have been intrigue with belly dancing before I could even read. Can't say I know how to dance but I love watching you belly dancers and love the music. No matter what type of belly dancing it is; it's still beautiful to me.

I know one day when I have time on my hands I will try and take lessons. I'm 30 years old so I need to pick something up to keep my body from going down heel also ;)

Can't wait to read all your tips and advise to learn the ropes.

Oh, and HaPpY NeW YeArS!!!!!!!!

Hi jjj, I am going to be 30 years old this year, too :)
I learn two types of belly dance. One is oriental style because we can be really feminine in this style, the other is tribal fusion so that I can embody strength of women from it.

I wish you had nice new year, too!

jjj

Hi jjj, I am going to be 30 years old this year, too :)
I learn two types of belly dance. One is oriental style because we can be really feminine in this style, the other is tribal fusion so that I can embody strength of women from it.

I wish you had nice new year, too!

Is their a difference between Oriental and Egyptian? Sorry if that's a dumb question but it's all very confusing to me. I understand Fusion is a mix of something with belly moves. But I don't really understand the other types differences. I want to find a style so I can know what dvd to purchase and then find a class suitable for me. I like the fusion and the gothic style but I really like the traditional belly dance. I just don't know what's what even after reading alot of post.

Just to add, I'm doing this for me. Not planning on performing, well maybe show off one day :D

Sasa

Well, I don't know too much in details but when I learn oriental, I do lots of traditional movement we normally see. And when I learn fusion, I do much more experimental thing. For example in my last show I used very asian music. That sounded like Chinese music with simple drum sounds and flute.

jjj

Well, I don't know too much in details but when I learn oriental, I do lots of traditional movement we normally see. And when I learn fusion, I do much more experimental thing. For example in my last show I used very asian music. That sounded like Chinese music with simple drum sounds and flute.

That sounds neat. I'm sure you were a hit.

Ariadne

Is their a difference between Oriental and Egyptian?
Oriental dance is the original name for the dance, Egyptian is one regional style of Oriental dance. In other words all khaki are pants but not all pants are khaki. ;)

Yshka

Hi and welcome to the forum Jay! Happy reading and posting, and best wishes to you for 2012! I hope this year will give you the time you need for a live bellydance class! :D

As for picking a style, I would say... pick nothing yet. Instead, buy a beginners DVD that is geared toward learning basic movement and good posture, solid techniques. Search in online stores and seek out Youtube trailers for the ones that appeal to you. If you're in doubt, search this forum or ask around here, as many dvd's have been discussed here and we will be happy to share our ideas! :D

There are a few threads already on which beginners DVDs are good, though I don't have much time to find them right now. I bet they are not hard to find though ;)

Take the one that appeals to you most. In the end, all styles need a solid movement base, and any beginner DVD of good quality will give you that!
If you like the particular style the dvd is in, it might be good to stick with it and find a live class in that style. If not, time to look for something else.

Most of all, have fun learning and trying! :cool:

jjj

Hi and welcome to the forum Jay! Happy reading and posting, and best wishes to you for 2012! I hope this year will give you the time you need for a live bellydance class! :D

As for picking a style, I would say... pick nothing yet. Instead, buy a beginners DVD that is geared toward learning basic movement and good posture, solid techniques. Search in online stores and seek out Youtube trailers for the ones that appeal to you. If you're in doubt, search this forum or ask around here, as many dvd's have been discussed here and we will be happy to share our ideas! :D

There are a few threads already on which beginners DVDs are good, though I don't have much time to find them right now. I bet they are not hard to find though ;)

Take the one that appeals to you most. In the end, all styles need a solid movement base, and any beginner DVD of good quality will give you that!
If you like the particular style the dvd is in, it might be good to stick with it and find a live class in that style. If not, time to look for something else.

Most of all, have fun learning and trying! :cool:

Bellydancing can be very confusing at times :lol: So much to learn.

Your input is appreciated and your absolutely right they all have a solid movement base from what I can see.

Thank you for the warm welcome :)