Do you practice everyday?

Daimona

pfffffffff sorry dear no luck the youtube adres is like 3 lines long ! it use to be 6 letters orso lol...i can not paste in here i geuss i do something wrong...but try to go to my video,s it has 2 solo tabla,s if you watch the one that i am wearing a pink 2 piece ,badla,, you can see how i start with only accent on the ,,pocket,, after that i go only with the tabla,then i put pocket and shymmys together...hope i explain it ok and you can understand it....just go to youtbe ,,lydia tzigane,, and peek when you have time....my channel name is ,,bleu amber....goodluck dear with practising,solo tabla is realy cool so catch it!!!! dont leave it:dance:

Lydia: If you copy the url (as below, but without the spaces in between)
http:// www . youtube . com / watch ? v=oQnIPYvPPaE & feature=player_embedded​
the part of the code you need to embed is the one I've highlighted in red.

Is this the video?

Last edited:

Sasa

Don't worry about "ridiculous shyness". There are much worse cases than you. I avoid practicing in front of my cat. :) He always comes over to me and lies down on my feet, when I try to dance. In his language it means, "Please stop this nonsense and behave like a normal person. Why don't you do something useful, such as scratching me behind my ears."

That's actually really really sweet!!!
I love your cat:)

Sasa

My husband giggles and makes fun of me. -_-;;; The son acts traumatized and threatens to go into therapy, and goes crazy if I start zilling. -_- The daughter is the only one who supports me, and will even do Rachel Brice DVD drills with me, and will critique me on choreo practice, but she won't come with me to classes because she thinks she's too fat. -_- She's ONLY 129 pounds, for crying out loud!!! -_-

My family makes me make this face a LOT: -_-

I see... what I need is a DAUGHTER! (I don't have any children, yet.)

Sasa

pfffffffff sorry dear no luck the youtube adres is like 3 lines long ! it use to be 6 letters orso lol...i can not paste in here i geuss i do something wrong...but try to go to my video,s it has 2 solo tabla,s if you watch the one that i am wearing a pink 2 piece ,badla,, you can see how i start with only accent on the ,,pocket,, after that i go only with the tabla,then i put pocket and shymmys together...hope i explain it ok and you can understand it....just go to youtbe ,,lydia tzigane,, and peek when you have time....my channel name is ,,bleu amber....goodluck dear with practising,solo tabla is realy cool so catch it!!!! dont leave it:dance:

Thank you, I watched your video. (Drum solo in front of a hotel.)

It is amazing that it looks like very EASY when you perform. Most skilled dancers make it look so easy and effortless, which I admire all the time!
And your costume is very unique. Really cool. Here in London I have never seen costumes like yours!

I understood what you mean. Shimmying by removing tense is important. Since you shimmy/bounce, you can use more subtle sounds as well, not only the big dum accents. And I don't have to stress out by trying to hit all the big and small accents. Your video inspired me to re-discipline myself!! Thanks a lot!!!

It looks such a fun to dance with live musicians. For me, I dance only with recorded music. It is impossible for me to dance with live music now...!

LadyLoba

I used to drill every morning and then try to do an improv dance every evening...but I admit I gradually began slipping...to the point that I had basically quit. But then...that's why I'm never going to be a professional. I "stop and start" too often to get really good.

But yesterday...I drilled. I'm going to try to set up a schedule..stick to it...and if I can stick to it for four months without slipping...give myself a belly dance related reward of some type..like a costume.

Lydia

Daimona thank you dear!!! safed my life lol....this was the video i wanted in...where the dom in the beginning is easy to catch... but now there are 2 clips o well.....at least now i know how it works thanks a million for your time hugzzzzzzzzz to you

Daimona

Daimona thank you dear!!! safed my life lol....this was the video i wanted in...where the dom in the beginning is easy to catch... but now there are 2 clips o well.....at least now i know how it works thanks a million for your time hugzzzzzzzzz to you

It is a pleasure to help you, Lydia! :)

teela

I try hard to practice 5 out of 7 days a week since I need one or two days to be lazy. Also I am not professional and will never be professional but I do it for me as I find dancing after a long hard day helps relax me. I have found that even on the days i am soooo tired and do not want to dance, I tell myself 5 mins and usually end up doing 20 to 30 mins of dancing just because I get caught up in it.

jjj

Thanks for your answer, jjj, SeeJaneDance and Lydia!

jjj, yes, I also try to tidy my room up before I start. Otherwise I cannot concentrate!

SeeJaneDane, that's good to know it's not only me who wants to be by myself for training. But in your case, I think it's great that your husband is interested and makes comments. It's like having others' eye all the time to be pointed out when we do some non-beautiful movements. My husband imitates me and makes fun!! :shok:
Do you take private/group lessons as well or are you self-taught using DVDs?

:D I guess I can tidy up my house too. What I meant with clear is to get everyone out of my room.

Question to Lydia: I keep seeing the different types of belly dancing. What would you consider your type to be?

Lovely by the way :clap:

Lydia

:D I guess I can tidy up my house too. What I meant with clear is to get everyone out of my room.

Question to Lydia: I keep seeing the different types of belly dancing. What would you consider your type to be?

Lovely by the way :clap:

jjj,hello dear....i can not ,,label,, my dancing....i never took classes....i went to iraq when i was a teenager watch bellydancing and i knew that is what i was gonna do....
i got music made costumes myself,and went on stage...it was a big place 700 seats full house everyday...i learned in that club a lot i was working with 120 dancers every night for 2 years so i learned from dancers just watching them all kind of dancers because this club hade dance groups from al over the world,i learned about stage lichting costume making while in the dressingroom sitting with all those artist...the audiance has been my ,,school, i could see if geust liked what i did or not and that is how i learned ,,,there was no youtube or internet so i hade almost no contact with dancers outside the places where i worked,so i geuss my ,,style,, is just mine....and i am very proud to say that i am teaching,,my style,, i have been performing in the middle east sinds 1984....and i am teaching now for 10 years...2 years ago i stopped performing....most of my students are arab girls lately because many foreigners have left Dubai....Arab girls are happy with my style,because its something differant then what they have been used to...the egyption style.....and the libanees style.....so no name tag dear on my dancing ,its just ,,me,,

Sasa

jjj,hello dear....i can not ,,label,, my dancing....i never took classes....i went to iraq when i was a teenager watch bellydancing and i knew that is what i was gonna do....
i got music made costumes myself,and went on stage...it was a big place 700 seats full house everyday...i learned in that club a lot i was working with 120 dancers every night for 2 years so i learned from dancers just watching them all kind of dancers because this club hade dance groups from al over the world,i learned about stage lichting costume making while in the dressingroom sitting with all those artist...the audiance has been my ,,school, i could see if geust liked what i did or not and that is how i learned ,,,there was no youtube or internet so i hade almost no contact with dancers outside the places where i worked,so i geuss my ,,style,, is just mine....and i am very proud to say that i am teaching,,my style,, i have been performing in the middle east sinds 1984....and i am teaching now for 10 years...2 years ago i stopped performing....most of my students are arab girls lately because many foreigners have left Dubai....Arab girls are happy with my style,because its something differant then what they have been used to...the egyption style.....and the libanees style.....so no name tag dear on my dancing ,its just ,,me,,

Lydia, I watched your drum solo (the one you put here). Because you are the teacher of yourself, that is why all of your movement is genuinely yours. Nothing is fake...
I practised drum solo after I watched your video. I feel good now...

walladah

Having other people around when practicing might be annoying

...for them - as i can speak and discusss anything while practicing and they think i am laughing at the topic we talk about and that i do not really care about the issue!

However, i practice everyday because i feel like being in need of it, so i cannot understand why people around might bother... would they bother if was drinking water while discussing? no!

of course, i admire you girls who keep dancing while other people around you are ridiculising your art and effort. To me, this is really bad (my ex wanted me no to dance in front of him when we were at home, not because he did not like it, but because he did) as it reveals a mean thoughts and envy (of course we broke up with that ex - for other reasons - but i really do not miss my nights practicing alone in the living room while he was sleeping).

Farasha Hanem, tell your daughter that 129 pounds are quite normal for a woman and that she should go with you to dance class! I understand that she also is afraid of facing the same difficult behaviour as you do - just tell her that men envy women for bellydance, for they will never have such power over life as we do with our bodies...

But if a dancers has a supporting husband-boyfriend-family, i do not see anyreason for not practicing in front of them... esp. if the space is limited, or if there is no way to make a schedule for practice when people are not at home...

at the end, anyone can join if he/she wants!

Sasa

Oh, about body weight, I completely changed my view since I started belly dance.

I am quite thin compared to other students in my class. Before, I used to be thinking "being thin is better". But I realised it is not always true. When we train in front of mirror in a class, others look really powerful and pleasant to watch. But me, I need to put double energy in the movement to make my dance as powerful as theirs.

Belly as well. If rib bones are seen as if skeleton, that's not beautiful. No dignity in too skinny body.

I gained 8 kg in these few years, but I am happy about it.

jjj

Oh, about body weight, I completely changed my view since I started belly dance.

I am quite thin compared to other students in my class. Before, I used to be thinking "being thin is better". But I realised it is not always true. When we train in front of mirror in a class, others look really powerful and pleasant to watch. But me, I need to put double energy in the movement to make my dance as powerful as theirs.

Belly as well. If rib bones are seen as if skeleton, that's not beautiful. No dignity in too skinny body.

I gained 8 kg in these few years, but I am happy about it.

I'm extremely skinny (95lbs) and I truly envy those with nice curves when they wiggle, looks so lovely. But I can't gain weight, the heaviest I've been not pregnant is 98lbs (don't know what pounds are in kg).

When looking in the mirror practicing those arms movements I feel silly because I see bony hands and not graceful movements :( So I'm with you about putting double the effort.

Sasa

I'm extremely skinny (95lbs) and I truly envy those with nice curves when they wiggle, looks so lovely. But I can't gain weight, the heaviest I've been not pregnant is 98lbs (don't know what pounds are in kg).

When looking in the mirror practicing those arms movements I feel silly because I see bony hands and not graceful movements :( So I'm with you about putting double the effort.

I understand. But I also think there are various type of beauty.

Before I started belly dance, I was just a little girl. But I feel like I can grow up to be "lady" now. Reading books which my teacher recommends, appreciating each other's dance,,, so many things related to this dance is helping me becoming matured

LadyLoba

I think belly dancers of all shapes and sizes look good if they dance well....and people certainly vary in what they find attractive. There are no doubt many people who think your figures are gorgeous..even if you think they're too skinny.

But I certainly understand body image issues. I'm not skinny and never have been, except for when I suffered from anorexia in my teens. But I have always disliked my own figure and body...mainly my upper arms, lower abs, and upper thighs.

Belly dancing does help. It's not magical....you dont get instant wonderful body image...but I find it helps... when I DO practice every day...I definitely feel better about my figure.

Sasa

Belly dancing does help. It's not magical....you dont get instant wonderful body image...but I find it helps... when I DO practice every day...I definitely feel better about my figure.

For me, belly dancing helped because I watch myself in the mirror much more than before I started. At first I did not like it, but little by little, I discovered little parts which I can appreciate.

I am not satisfied at all with my overall body, but I feel kind Ok for some parts, such as fingers and the waist:)

walladah

Well, about body image - you know girls,

we are trained since our childhood NOT TO LIKE OUR BODIES no matter what!
even if we are like Monica Belucci, we still think our bodies are ugly, because we are educated like this. It has nothing to do with shape, or kilos/pounds, those are just pretexts!

Oh, jjj, yes, bellydance is much easier for a woman with many curves or many evident curves! so, a "skinny" woman has to work much more with her body to make it with curves, not to take extra weight of course, but to make her movement more round...

you know, one thing we also learn since our childhood is that round, curves and anything wavy is not the right things - remember that most lines in our human societies are... straight... while there is no straight line in nature...

we, women (but also men) are trained to move and live avoiding anything that is not near straight line, we are trained to avoid cycles, round shapes, etc.

So, in case one's body is not with many, evident curves, the training shows... remember that even in ballet, the dancers are supposed to reproduce straightlines - let alone that women dancers are supposed to be as skinny as it takes... no curves...

As a result, we need to retrain ourselves in round, non-aggressive movements... in that sense, a skinny woman needs a bit more practice, but at the end the movement gets the same round as in any other curvy... body.
I am writing this as i am also considered skinny (i think i am fine), not only for bellydance but generally speaking. This has made me able to see all... stiffness in my movement and work on it more, at the end it does not matter what your body is if you practice with a curvy-movement focus.

Have fun (and remember that some of the best dancer of our age, like Zoe Jakes are... skinny-skinny)...