Is it gay for a male belly dancer to have Belly Button piercing ?

Remus

I'm asking you because I'm planning to get one on my navel. I saw some male dancers that have it. So please, share your opinions on this. I'm still going to have it anyway, but I want to know from the girls if they think it's gay for a man

Darshiva

I think it's gay for a gay bellydancer to have one...

Do what you want with your body, seriously. There will always be someone who objects and someone else who loves it. Whose opinion matters to you more?

Ariadne

Ok, 100% objectivity here. Pierced navels can come with a stigma in some parts of society for girls, it's similar to having a "tramp stamp". I can't see how a guy having that kind of piercing would be any different so the question you have to ask is whether or not it might impact your work as a dancer. It might limit your customers depending on where you live.

If you don't care about that then what matters is what you like as long as you have also considered the possibility of it becoming infected and what you will do if it does. Any time you get any piercing that has to be taken into account.

Bast

I don't think having a navel piercing on a guy looks gay unless you choose to hang a big multicolored chandelier from it. :D
You can choose more masculine jewellery to suit your style.
Do be careful with the care of your new piercing though. You wouldn't want to get a nasty infection and scarring on your belly.

Tarik Sultan

Some will think it is and some won't. I think it has more to do with how you carry yourself in general. But as was said before, if you are planning to go professional and do parties and nightclubs for the general public, you'll have to feel out your audience to determine if you leave it in or take it out. If you only dance in studio recitals, haflas etc for the dance community, then don't sweat it.

jjj

I'm someone who like piercing. I think some piercings look better in some places than others. In naval to me would scream gay. That is my opinion by first glance.

If it's something you always wanted, go for it. If it only occur to you recently take time to think about it. I'm barely learning about belly dancing so I don't know whats trending.

SeeJaneDance

I honestly don't understand exactly what you're asking. Obviously, the only thing that makes you gay is being attracted to someone of your own gender, and is completely unrelated to your body. That being said, I'm assuming you're asking if women will think that you are gay, and to that I say, does it matter? For one, if they're making assumptions like that, they'll probably make the assumption without the body jewelry, just because you're a male dancer. Two, if they're not the sort to make an assumption like that right off, they probably won't get as far as thinking "Hey, that guy has a naval piercing!" They're more likely to stop at, "Hey, that guy's dancing!" Unless, as someone mentioned, you hang a chandelier from the thing, which is just a questionable costuming decision, no matter which way you slice it.

Pirika Repun

I'm assuming you're asking if women will think that you are gay, and to that I say, does it matter? For one, if they're making assumptions like that, they'll probably make the assumption without the body jewelry, just because you're a male dancer.

Yes, so many people (both men and women) make assumption male dancer is gay anyway. You will be surprised (or maybe not surprised) that you can see for Tito's video comment on YouTube that so many people said "I know Tito is married and have kids, but is he gay?" These people are not GP but our own dance community! These people are always make assumption that "Male Oriental/Belly dancer = gay or bisexual" They don't look at you as "dancer" but they look at you as "gay" no matter you are straight, gay, or bisexual.

Personally, I don't care anybody's sexuality (both male and female) if the dancer is great dancer, who cares? And what make difference for the talent anyway?

I don't know your dance style, but it might affect your costuming and also reaction from your audience. Like some people said that if you are tribal or fusion dancer then body piers is fine, but if you were more traditional dance style (Egyptian, American Oriental, etc...) it may consider with your costume. Also who will be your audience. If the same dance community then maybe fine, but GP especially majority of Arab audience, then you have to consider take off for performance.

Just be careful about nasty infection, because one of my friends got nasty infection, and her skin fell off with navel piers that she didn't realize until it fall off. Personally I don't like any body pierce so I don't do it, and don't find any attractive for body pierce. Good luck.

SidraK

Oh hon, 20 years ago you'd probably be worried about which ear to get pierced. Look at it this way:

1.You can't be responsible for the assumptions that people are going to make.

2.Fashions change so quickly, and a piercing isn't a forever commitment. Even if you end up with just a scar and a story, the 5, 10, or 20 years you love the piercing will be worth it.

If I remember your earlier posts, you're still in the process of coming out? So I'm guessing you're still swinging pretty wildly between "Tadaaa! Look at me!" and "OMG...what if they can tell???" I can't tell you not to worry about it, because you will ;) but don't sweat the small stuff. And take care of your piercings!

Amulya

The only problem I can see for male and female dancers with navel piecings is veils getting stuck to them and ripping it out: youcha!!!! Happened to me with my nose ring... Lucky it didn't rip my nostril!

duskshade

The only problem I can see for male and female dancers with navel piecings is veils getting stuck to them and ripping it out: youcha!!!! Happened to me with my nose ring... Lucky it didn't rip my nostril!

I took a phenomenally strong strike to my freshly pierced nip one bout of capoeira - I saw a flash of white light and a chrome bolt of pain went from the top of my head to the bottom of my feet.

Oh, the ring came right out... oh my stars and garters - it was not pretty.

I can only imagine snagging on a flying veil or on a vest that moves...

Rania

I generally would not care to see a man with a belly piercing. But if done the right way its not overlay tacky. They should keep it sweet and simpple, not butterflys or flowers lol. But in the end to each is own.

Greek Bonfire

I really don't care if it makes a dancer look gay or not. Nowadays what I like to see is a dancer who knows what he/she is doing, wears the appropriate costuming and dances like a bomb. Sexual gender and orientation is a moot point with me.

The only thing that I don't like with a belly piercing is if the jewelry is distracting from the actual dancing. I have a belly piercing and I usually wear a small jewel, nothing that is twirling around or as stated before, a "chandelier."

SidraK

Now I'm trying to imagine what would make a female dancer look gay. Plaid flannel bedlah with combat boots? :D

khanjar

Snagging a piercing is not nice, I know that one well until I changed the bars to rings, but as to piercing with males as to whether it looks gay or not I echo what others have said; your body, do what you feel is right ! But if it is in dance you are going to be showing your navel well Tarik is correct some will think something and some others will think something else, that is if they are focusing on your navel and not your dance. But think of the audience one moment what are they thinking when you perform, do you know their minds or is it you are a performer and you must perform to entertain and as a performer you may receive adoration or contempt, whereas many receive anywhere in between. You are a performer so what you do to enhance your form is up to you, but one thing about piercings unlike tattoos, is piercings can be removed to suit your mood and that of your audience, adorn yourself how you want to be adorned and if it does not suit, remove the adornment.

Shanazel

Piercings and tattoos are so mainstream now as to be unremarkable to anyone who hasn't been living in a curtained apartment without TV and dining on call-in pizza for ten years.

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
I don't know how in the 'ell I missed THIS thread before...

But I'm a male Belly Dancer. I'm even straight. I have both a navel piercing AND a "tramp stamp". They're kinda customary around here.

Someone else suggested that some/a lot of people are going to think you're gay anyway, so do what you want. S/he is 100% correct. I've even had the occasional dance sister express shock that I'm married. What. Evarr!

I just had my navel piercing done 4-1/2 months ago. I actually inspired another local male dancer to get his done - and he does just happen to be gay. So what? He wouldn't be caught dead with a "tramp stamp" though. So if you want one, do it. I got one because I think they're pretty.

In other news, I just had a Lotus tattooed on the nape of my neck. Its pretty. Its also a memorial for my father who passed away a year ago - we talked about it before his passing.