Hello from RockIt! Belly Dance, Manchester UK! \m/

Hello lovely belly dancers!

Having taught and performed belly dance for some time, I thought I'd join the online community.

Our team teaches and performs RockIt! Belly Dance - a style evolved from traditional techniques, elements of street dance, burlesque and the energy of club dancing. Our taught choreography and performance routines are all set to rock and metal, and our moto of "Dance as if your life depends on it!" never out of our minds.

Feel free to send us a message, have a look at our website or visit us on Facebook.

All the best for 2012! :D

Emma and Saskia

Check link at http://www.bellydanceforums.net/showthread.php?t=16670 to visit our website
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/RockIt-Belly-Dance/272588672761281

Last edited by a moderator:

jenc

Hello lovely belly dancers!

Having taught and performed belly dance for some time, I thought I'd join the online community.

Our team teaches and performs RockIt! Belly Dance - a style evolved from traditional techniques, elements of street dance, burlesque and the energy of club dancing. Our taught choreography and performance routines are all set to rock and metal, and our moto of "Dance as if your life depends on it!" never out of our minds.

Feel free to send us a message, have a look at our website or visit us on Facebook.

All the best for 2012! :D

Emma and Saskia

Iam interested as to why you feel this is bellydancing

Duvet

Because its got hip drops, hip circles and undulations in it? And its a bunch of women having fun!?:lol:
The music really screams at me - this is not bellydancing! But that's because it challenges what I think bellydancing is. Watching it with the sound turned off, and imagining Arabic music playing instead, and I can see the moves are in there.:think:
For myself, my first reaction was its loud, raunchy, discordant and unelegant. But then that's what Western tavellers said about Arabic dancers in the 1800s! There always seems to be something new popping up within this dance arena, which makes it so interesting. But if its a mix of so many different styles (street/club/burlesque) isn't the bellydance label misleading?
I wouldn't appreciate seeing this at a bellydance show, but I do have dancing friends who would like it.
So good luck Emma and Saskia.;)

jenc

I don't deny that it looks like good fun - and good exercise.

BUT I watched with the music off this time and the movements still don't look like BD to me. I can see the burlesque. for what it's worth I think that burlesque developed from bellydance, or from the idea of bellydance to fill a gap in the market - but it soon got i's own identity.

Hip drops, hip circles, even undulations are not specific to bellydance. I think that this is a new dance- but that there is some extra mileage to be got out of calling it bellydance for promotional reasons.

I could refer you to some of our discussions of fusion. for me this does not even qualify as bellydance fusion.

I wish Sakia and Emma all the best - I just wish there was another way than calling this BD