Hello from Yorkshire!

Birdlight

Hello dancers!

I've been lurking around for a while, and thought I'd join in the fun :)

I've been dancing for 2 years in various styles of bellydance, started with 6 weeks of learning with an Egyptian and Folkloric teacher, which got me hooked. Then did some lessons with a lady who used european pop music, then some ITS tribal, then a little more with a purely Egyptian teacher, then Tribal again alongside the pop music lady too. Then a fusion course which is now ended. Phew- mixed bag hey? I'm hoping to find a teacher for the long haul this year- the problem with being out in the sticks is teachers come and go at an alarming rate! Plus when you find a good one that regularly teaches they're often miles away and very hard to get to. I hate that my learning has been so unfocused.

I currently dance Fusion with my dance partner, which we choreograph ourselves. We love dancing and try and learn from as much as possible, though as you can see from the above, it's mostly what we can glean from DVD's and workshops. Purely enthusiastic hobbyists :)

I have to say that recently I've felt I don't have enough grounding in fundamental, 'traditional' bellydance. If I'm going to fuse bellydance, I want to do it well (I'm sure you guys would agree on that one!). Gosh, it's like the more I learn about this dance the more I feel I should know and don't!

This year I want to focus on learning the Egyptian and cabaret end of things properly as well as continue in my duet. There is so much I feel anyone who calls themself a bellydancer should know, even if they don't dance 'straight up' bellydance. Especially how to interpret the music- most of my teachers have used modern, Western music, and I'm desperate to learn about the traditional ME music. This forum has already put me onto some fantastic links, so thank you for that.

Anyway, that's quite a long introduction isn't it?! Thanks for having such a useful resource here, and Happy 2012!

Birdlight xx

Mosaic

Super Moderator
to the forum. Glad you decided to join us:D Hope you can find a teacher who will stick around for a while, it must be quite frustrating for you at the moment. It's nice that you have a partner to continue dancing with even when no teacher is available.
~Mosaic