Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea! I'm starting a new thread.

http://bellydanceforums.net/showthre...762#post201762
    Last edited by Aziyade; 02-17-2012 at 03:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The only DVD I have currently is Petite Jamilla's Double Veil routine (haven't practiced with it yet, just watched it several times -- love her dancing !!!).

I have ordered the 12 Basic Course Lessons DVD from Belly Dance Boulevard (should arrive in 2 or 3 weeks)...I watched the videos on youtube and they really helped a lot of the basic moves "click" for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Janene Aliza View Post
    The only DVD I have currently is Petite Jamilla's Double Veil routine (haven't practiced with it yet, just watched it several times -- love her dancing !!!).

I have ordered the 12 Basic Course Lessons DVD from Belly Dance Boulevard (should arrive in 2 or 3 weeks)...I watched the videos on youtube and they really helped a lot of the basic moves "click" for me.
    Seems an unusual choice for a beginner's first dvd!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jenc View Post
    Seems an unusual choice for a beginner's first dvd!
    I actually hadn't thought of using DVD's to supplement my learning until recently (I am in between class sessions).

Post Thanks / Like

Recently bought Andalee's Musicality Matters (at last - I've been wanting that since it was released) & am waiting for Karim Nagi's Arab Folk Dance: Dabke, Khaliji, Saidi & Sufi. Not sure if I mentioned in the old thread that prior to those 2 I had purchased, Belladonna's Sword Stylization DVD.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm an ATS and Tribal Fusion girl and so my dvd collection tends to reflect that. I have nearly all of FCBD's instructional dvds, Rachel Brice's first instructional dvd, Tempest's Gothic Dance dvd, Ariellah's instructional dvd, 2 Belly Dance Superstars, Sera's Tribal Fusion instructional, Another tribal fusion instructional that the title escapes my memory. Most of the instructional dvds I have sadly aren't that helpful except for Ariellah's and FCBD's. Of my VHS variety I have mostly cabaret oriented stuff such as Shareen el Safy's (sp?) saidi, 2nd & 3rd Delilah instructional, 2 Eva Cernik's performance vids, a couple of Moon over Denver performances (each vhs was 2 hours of a variety belly dance show). And more that I'm blanking on right now. I think I might even have a Suzanna del Vecchio performance and instructional set. I attended her workshop many years ago when her pop locks and flutters video came out so I can just be remembering that.

I tend to nowadays watch performance videos to get inspiration. I'm bad about practicing on my own (time and solitude is my issue) so I don't tend to utilize instructional dvds/vhs's very often. If I really like a performance or dancer I'll analyze what they do and figure out if I want to incorporate it into my own style. It's very hard for me though to find instructional dvds geared towards advanced dancers. I've been thinking about looking outside of Tribal fusion and into my cabaret roots for inspiration. I like the pop locky stuff but I'm a big stickler in keeping recognizable bellydance movement vocabulary in a dance routine with the pops/locks and such. One of my biggest issues with many "tribal fusion" performances is that there isn't much in the way of familiar belly dance movements and rarely have I seen actual Tribal movements either.

So I'm on the constant lookout for stuff that I can incorporate into my own style but still call it belly dance albeit americanized.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psychobilly5 View Post
    I I like the pop locky stuff but I'm a big stickler in keeping recognizable bellydance movement vocabulary in a dance routine with the pops/locks and such. One of my biggest issues with many "tribal fusion" performances is that there isn't much in the way of familiar belly dance movements and rarely have I seen actual Tribal movements either.

So I'm on the constant lookout for stuff that I can incorporate into my own style but still call it belly dance albeit americanized.
    Psychobilly5 you've just described exactly how I feel! I dance both Fusion and something that I think of as English Cabaret, which is heavily inspired by Egyptian, and whilst I love doing Fusion I often find myself stressing that there's not enough bellydance in my dance and too much street/jazz/morris! (yes, Morris...as in English nutters with hankies and sticks...) and redoing the whole choreo. I don't like seeing a 'bellydance' performance which is actually something else. Mixing can look amazing, it just needs to have a good quota of belly in there! Trying to find a DVD with nice moves that work with this is hard- TF DVD's can focus too mch on locks and drills and not enough on actual dancing and flow.

DVD wise (I can stick to a thread, honest!)nearly my entire collection is Fusion based with the exception of Luscious and Sarah Skinners Veils, and recently thanks to some lovely BD Forum members some Sadie/Kaya bits and a fabulous Bedouin DVD. Now that I highly recommend for the obvious love thats gone into it. It's intriguing watching something that has a genuine folkloric vibe-although it's all obviously a staged piece it's very authentic feeling to me. It puts that aspect of the dance into context- this is how it is used at weddings. It's very joyful . I do like seeing dance in context, helps me understand the cultures our dance comes from a bit better which is very important whatever style of dance you do.

Like the above post says, a lot of the Fusion DVD's are not very helpful, once you know the basics you can drill from memory, and the combinations on most are...a little dull. The one I've found truly helpful for Fusion drill and combos is Rachel Brice- Serpentine, as the it has good combos shown in a dance context, some lovely back stretching yoga (I love the yoga, stretching makes a big difference to my dance) and some excellent drills. Finally, travelling layers that make sense to me! Plus arms and legs included and the shimmy drill is fab even though it half kills me. RB is great for days when I want to push myself and work my muscle. Zoe Jake's Tribal Drum Solo has some nice combos too, and you learn a little about the rhythms, but I've still not had the energy to work through it all yet.

All the other Tribal Fusion ones I own repeat the same drills to the same spiky music and just don't work for me. Wheres the actual dance?! It's frustrating.

I personally want to feel like I'm dancing as well as drilling, so for those days I really enjoy Luscious- Neon and Blanca have a cute accent and it's a lovely gentle flow of moves in a gently lit studio setting with fab costumes. I always feel light and happy after doing that one. Must try the others in the series soon.

I'm about to start working wth more cabaret inspired DVD's from Sadie&Kaya, and crack on with the Veils one. I'll let you know how they go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Birdlight View Post
    I personally want to feel like I'm dancing as well as drilling, so for those days I really enjoy Luscious- Neon and Blanca have a cute accent and it's a lovely gentle flow of moves in a gently lit studio setting with fab costumes. I always feel light and happy after doing that one. Must try the others in the series soon.
    Just want to chime in to echo that thought... I love the danceyness of Luscious, even the suggestion to dress up to do it. We're so used to doing things for our bodies in sweats or tights or whatever, but why not feel beautiful and graceful at the same time?

Post Thanks / Like

Art of the Drum Solo - Don't like
    Belly Dance Basics and Beyond - very good even for seasoned dancers
    BD show basics - good if you perform
    Bd Superstar basics monte carlo - ok
    Belly Dance the next level - good
    Dances from th heart - good
    Dynamic Combinations - ok
    Egyptian Style Baladi - AWESOME
    heartbeat of Belly dancing - good
    Jillina Entrance Choreography - practise sessions good, but don't like choreography
    Lock Roll and flutter - good
    Neena and Veena basic dance = basic - good for compelte beginners
    Neena and Veena BD Fitness - good
    Precision Motion Workout - good
    Sadie's Complete BD Guide - don't like it
    Sadie's Dynamic Drum Solo - don't like it
    Totally Turkish - awesome

and soon to come:

Shimmy workout (yay, rooting for yame! hehe)
    Bellydance Travel Steps with Layers, Accents & Step Combinations

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akewa View Post
    Ok so far I love my Habiba Quick Start. Also loving Keit's 1001 moves. Not so loving od Jehan's Sacred. Can not get over her swayback or not much break down. Also have Hearbeat which is a keeper and Corefittness which I use alot for slow practice.

Got about 5 more to buy this month. Just do not tell hubby.
    whats wrong with her back?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast