Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How long should one stay with a teacher?

Post Thanks / Like

Until you feel like you aren't getting any benefit from it anymore.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    That I agree with. One of my teacher's students though has been with her for almost 10 years. She (the student) dances semi-professionally but relies on the teacher for all her choreographies, costuming etc. Each to his own for sure, but I did think it a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Definitely. I've been learning for 3 years or so (I can't keep an exact count) and I've stayed with the same teacher for most of that as my main teacher because I like her style and I benefit from her still. That said over the past year I've tried workshops with other teachers and they've taught me some things about dance and a lot about the sort of teaching style I like.

Now I'm taking regular classes with a different teacher to try and broaden my technique and dance practice and stretch me in different ways. I still go back to my main teacher for some things (like her awesome veil technique workshops) but I'm really enjoying the difference. It was actually my main teacher who encouraged me to try a different instructor.

I think for me I'd stick with one teacher for the first few months as otherwise it might get a bit confusing for a beginner, and then diversify once the basics sink in.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with one teacher for the first few months as otherwise it might get a bit confusing for a beginner, and then diversify once the basics sink in.
    Yep, what the lassie from Yorkshire says.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duvet View Post
    I think its a great idea to change teachers, or have more than one at the same time (meaning in the same style - it can be difficult to be learning different styles at once, especially as a beginner). Its almost a requirement for your own advancement.

It lets you see the bigger picture, and see how things can change and evolve with different teacher's own experiences. It helps you discover different things about yourself, you learn different ways of thinking about the dance,you learn new techniques and moves, and you meet different people. No one teacher can provide you with everything.
    I agree more then one at a time would be a little much. switching back and forth every so many months is what I had in mind.

Another thought to add, it may give a dancer her own unique style instead of being a routine copy of his or her belly dance. However even if you learn from one teacher your way of dancing and style will be slightly differnt. I might switch by leval.

Post Thanks / Like

you know how many belly dancers, we have in my town... six.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rania View Post
    Another thought to add, it may give a dancer her own unique style instead of being a routine copy of his or her belly dance. However even if you learn from one teacher your way of dancing and style will be slightly differnt. I might switch by leval.
    Or it makes the student a great copy-cat being able to do teacher x y and z's styles if the student don't play around to make her/his own style from what she/he learns.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yes, it is a very good idea

actually, it is the best a student can do, but it is not usually done, because it requires a lot of time, effort and money to cope with several teachers at the same time (same season). Another solution is to have a series of lessons (you know how many those will be, they might be a year, or several, or a series of lessons to learn something specific etc) and then stop and go to another teacher to have another series.

Good teachers are those who enable you to be able to attend other teachers' classes without you feeling like a beginner again, but with body abilities to learn more. Very good teachers are those whose lessons you attend again, after you have made your round in other teachers and seminar instructors, because in the meantime the very good teacher has also added/improved in her lessons or topics taught.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daimona View Post
    Or it makes the student a great copy-cat being able to do teacher x y and z's styles if the student don't play around to make her/his own style from what she/he learns.
    hahahahahaha, yes perphaps it would. Your right, each should figuire out how they can make it their own.
    Last edited by Rania; 01-23-2012 at 07:19 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast