Standing on demi

Yame

Oh and just to add one more thing, I sometimes do drills in this stance with my level 2-3 beginners. This is after months of having drilled isolations with the feet parallel and weight evenly distributed, so the student is already proficient at doing them that way. I use drills in this stance so the student develops the ability to do the same moves with uneven weight distribution and sees how it affects the aesthetic of the move.

But then, I make it clear that this is my goal and that this is a variation of the move, not the only way to do the move and not even really the default way (other than hip drops and maybe a few others where it's the most common way to do it, but I drill hip drops with feet parallel and even weight distribution as well... though in this position I think it's usually called "piston hips" instead).

So what I'm saying is that this isn't useless, and it's not wrong. I just find it odd that someone would use only that position, always.

Habiba

In my opinion no one is perfect. She loves her style and she has a fix image in her mind of what belly dancing should be. I think learning from various teachers is a great idea.

Next thing you know you will have your own little twist and turns :D

And if you ever decide to teach you will learn from others mistakes while keeping an open mind.

jjj, I agree with you. My problem is that I actually really like my teacher - just disagree on some points. And she does have a fixed image of what the dance should look like and how it should be performed. My asking here is to clarify what is "correct" so I can do it the way I have been previously taught without any guilt :)

Oh and just to add one more thing, I sometimes do drills in this stance with my level 2-3 beginners. This is after months of having drilled isolations with the feet parallel and weight evenly distributed, so the student is already proficient at doing them that way. I use drills in this stance so the student develops the ability to do the same moves with uneven weight distribution and sees how it affects the aesthetic of the move.

But then, I make it clear that this is my goal and that this is a variation of the move, not the only way to do the move and not even really the default way (other than hip drops and maybe a few others where it's the most common way to do it, but I drill hip drops with feet parallel and even weight distribution as well... though in this position I think it's usually called "piston hips" instead).

So what I'm saying is that this isn't useless, and it's not wrong. I just find it odd that someone would use only that position, always.

Thank you so much for your input Yame. I have Michelle Joyce's "Drills Drills Drills" and she does drilling in different stances so that I am used to but as you pointed out, my teacher prefers the one stance and no flat is allowed.

The classes do feel somewhat more style over substance sometimes. As I mentioned, I do love her style but I feel I'm missing out sometimes in terms of solid technique and that does worry me. I have observed her other students (many of which have been with her for a long time) and have also noticed that they are unable to do some quite basic moves and are not good with improv (which I love).

Sorry to go on. I must sound like a complainer! But I am in a new country with different ideas and not a strong bellydance scene (or one I would consider real belldyance) so I feel a bit frustrated. Back home I was surrounded by amazing artists and I, myself, come from a classical dance family, so I can be quite particular when it comes to the artform.

Last edited by a moderator:

jjj

jjj, I agree with you. My problem is that I actually really like my teacher - just disagree on some points. And she does have a fixed image of what the dance should look like and how it should be performed. My asking here is to clarify what is "correct" so I can do it the way I have been previously taught without any guilt :)

Well, I lack the skills their since I'm just beginning. When it comes to dancing I don't think theirs ever a correct method. I've notice their so many ways to do so many things. Choose what's comfortable to you. Now if your going pro let me get off this and let the professionals handle this :whistle:

Shanazel

No matter what kind of class I am teaching (BD, writing, needlework) I tell my students that all teachers teach from their own education, prejudices, and preferences and I am no different. They should learn what I have to offer, decide what to integrate into their own work, then go on to the next teacher and do the same thing. And under no circumstances are they EVER to utter any version of, "Well, that's wrong because Shanazel says..." :cool: