Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spam flood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    ...in the last 24 hours I personally have banned 40+ new registered spammers, and other mods have banned quite a few as well
    I knew you guys were working hard, but that it above and beyond. Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Salome has put into the registration process re-CAPTCHA
    Maybe it should be made more like an application process... I hate the idea of someone genuinely interested being discouraged by a questionnaire, but I think the only way to discourage spammers is to make it not worth their time to sign up. Time is money after all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty new here, but a little questionaire wouldn't have bothered me or detered me from signing up.

I think anyone with a genuine interest in the forum would make that small effort.

Does it help the mods to click the report button? A couple of times I have seen spammage and reported it, at other times I wasn't sure if that post about amazing new weight loss supplements etc...had been allowed to be there and wasn't my business.

If it helps weed them out, I am happy to report every one of them I see.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have loved a questionairre when signing up. I didn't know a heck of a lot then, but would have loved the incentive to study and of course the hints of direction to study in.

Even a simple 'discuss what you love about bellydance' would have set me back an hour because I needed to cut it short!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, if I had to fill out a large questionnaire the first time I signed in, I'd probably dropped that forum despite being genuinly interested..
    Random questions, math questions or capthchas on the other hand, I would't mind.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bast View Post
    I'm pretty new here, but a little questionaire wouldn't have bothered me or detered me from signing up.

I think anyone with a genuine interest in the forum would make that small effort.

Does it help the mods to click the report button? A couple of times I have seen spammage and reported it, at other times I wasn't sure if that post about amazing new weight loss supplements etc...had been allowed to be there and wasn't my business.

If it helps weed them out, I am happy to report every one of them I see.
    If you see something that looks like spam do report it, it doesn't matter if it isn't. With so many threads & posts it is easy to miss something every now & then. If something reported isn't spam (which isn't very often) I PM the reporter just to let them know I've checked the report, so they know they are not being ignored.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    I didn't know a heck of a lot then, but would have loved the incentive to study and of course the hints of direction to study in.
    That's the type of questions I had in mind: belly dance related stuff that shows that a person has spent some time reading the forums, or can at least use the search function. If it gives them ideas for the future, all the better.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another approach I've seen other places is the requirement to post an introduction in something like the Meet & Greet before permission is granted to post elsewhere. Of course, the applicant (lack of better name) needs to describe themselves a little bit, and why they find the forum of interest. It's encouraged here, but I don't think everybody participates.

However, that might be a tough job in this active site...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    That's the type of questions I had in mind: belly dance related stuff that shows that a person has spent some time reading the forums, or can at least use the search function. If it gives them ideas for the future, all the better.
    I didn't read anything or searched just join

I think just any question even what are the colors of the flag should do.

Post Thanks / Like

I never did the meet & greet post, just jumped right in to conversation feet first after lurking as a non-member for about 4 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Yet another approach I've seen other places is the requirement to post an introduction in something like the Meet & Greet before permission is granted to post elsewhere. Of course, the applicant (lack of better name) needs to describe themselves a little bit, and why they find the forum of interest. It's encouraged here, but I don't think everybody participates.

However, that might be a tough job in this active site...
    I think this is a good idea, as well.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast