Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spam flood

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at what spammers typically post I don't think you'd need to go as far as probing questionnaires or "so, what is it about belly dance...?" questions.

How many of them manage to say "Hi, so&so here, I'd like to have posting-privileges to your forum please?", instead of a pile of cut 'n' pasted drivel with a tell tale strange link in the middle of it?

Post Thanks / Like

I made my "Belly Dance Videos" Yahoo group private because of too much spam. Now when new members want to join, they must answer the question, "Why do you want to join this forum?"

90% of the responses are worded in a way that makes it clear the person actually has a genuine interest in belly dance videos. They might say, "I use videos to help me practice belly dance at home," or, "I hope to get some reviews of belly dance videos I'm interested in," or whatever.

The other 10% sound extremely generic, such as, "I like belly dancing." For those, I look at the user name and email address that goes with it. Those that look like names a belly dancer might choose pass the test. The rest are denied. Once in a great while, I'll receive an email from the person who got denied asking why, and usually those emails make it clear the person actually is interested in belly dance, but just didn't bother to provide a useful answer to my question. I've approved every such person who followed up with a private mail and explanation of their interest in joining that group.

If there were a desire to ask a question of people wanting to join this group to screen spammers, you could word it as, "Please tell us in a sentence or two why you'd like to join." That way people will know they're not expected to write a book.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    For those, I look at the user name and email address that goes with it. Those that look like names a belly dancer might choose pass the test. The rest are denied.
    Your approval system sounds sensible, however I disagree with this tiny part of it. If the structure of my email address had been part of the vetting process, I never would have made it onto any dance forums. It was something I chose a long time ago when my interests were very different.

Based on something that just popped up in another thread, I'm going to make the suggestion that posting images be disabled for new members/members below a certain number of posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    Salome has put into the registration process re-CAPTCHA & is looking into other means to catch spammers, but that will mainly deter the spambots, single post spammers will be harder to catch at the door, but we mods work hard to keep them at bay and get rid of them as soon as we spot them.
    I really like the CAPTCHA that has been implemented but I just ran across a NSFW (really, really, NSFW) spam so I'm not sure it's working. Would it be less work to implement Shira's idea of individual approval of applications then to constantly ban all these guys?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    Your approval system sounds sensible, however I disagree with this tiny part of it. If the structure of my email address had been part of the vetting process, I never would have made it onto any dance forums. It was something I chose a long time ago when my interests were very different.

Based on something that just popped up in another thread, I'm going to make the suggestion that posting images be disabled for new members/members below a certain number of posts.
    After just logging in a few minutes ago & the first thing I see spammy user names so off I go to check their posts and whack right between the eyes 2 pics to freak out the most open minded person, I kind of agree with you, I nearly had a heartattack on the spot! I was thinking here we go again some idiot posting about ugg boots or nike or some other rubbish - yep definitely rubbish, but rubbish you just don't want to see .. ever! on our family friendly forum. Talk about a quick wake up of the brain this morning! That usually takes a couple of cups of coffee
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I really like the CAPTCHA that has been implemented but I just ran across a NSFW (really, really, NSFW) spam so I'm not sure it's working. Would it be less work to implement Shira's idea of individual approval of applications then to constantly ban all these guys?
    Yes, they were EPIC NSFW or anywhere else for that matter!! Individual approval could work, but when you get hit with 40 plus new registrations a day which is happening lately it may end up being a nightmare. The capcha thing seems to have stopped bots that constantly mass registered, the human component is much harder to stop <sigh> But we keep working on it trying to find ways to beat them, I pass on any possible systems & ideas to Salome that don't cost an arm & a leg. But some things you probably need a tech whiz kid to implement or they may not be suitable for this forum.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    However, if the user has typed a sensible sentence or two about why they want to join the group, then the structure of the email address wouldn't matter because I'd approve it on the basis of the sentence.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for curiosity's sake, what percentage of new forum signups is spam versus probably-legitimate new users?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shiradotnet View Post
    Just for curiosity's sake, what percentage of new forum signups is spam versus probably-legitimate new users?
    At the moment probably a good 75 to 90% are spammers. Yesterday 40-45 spammers to 2 legit I think it was, today ( so far) around 26 spammers 0 legit.

When it is quiet maybe 5 -8 spammers to every 1 legit.

Other forums are being hit with around 95% spammer regos, & at the moment 100 to 400 spammer registrations day, they must be very active forums. I would curl up & die at 100 a day
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

As it is do you only curl up and cry?
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast