Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spam flood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    At the moment probably a good 75 to 90% are spammers. Yesterday 40-45 spammers to 2 legit I think it was, today ( so far) around 26 spammers 0 legit.

When it is quiet maybe 5 -8 spammers to every 1 legit.

Other forums are being hit with around 95% spammer regos, & at the moment 100 to 400 spammer registrations day, they must be very active forums. I would curl up & die at 100 a day
    ~Mosaic
    Wow, that's *really* a big pain in the neck for the mods! And all of this is AFTER the captcha was installed? So this is how many are making it through the captcha?

Once again, a big THANK YOU to all the moderators for your efforts in keeping the spammers out!

Post Thanks / Like

You are welcome. Just keep those cards and letters coming.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    As it is do you only curl up and cry?
    A bit of hair tearing out, a few choice expletives (quite few), then tears of frustration, haven't curled up yet!
    ~M
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the last two posts are an example of what we've been discussing here. -_- I noticed he was triple-banned!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Farasha Hanem View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the last two posts are an example of what we've been discussing here. -_- I noticed he was triple-banned!
    Yeah, it came through on my Blackberry. Talk about doo-doo... Wait, that wasn't doo-doo, that was SH** !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Is it my imagination or do oriental dance sites seem to be in someone's crosshairs? Bhuz also appears to have higher flooding than usual, and Leila of Cairo's site got hacked.

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit to noticing the same thing. I wonder if it's the same person. Can an IP address be banned or do they just change them?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I must admit to noticing the same thing. I wonder if it's the same person. Can an IP address be banned or do they just change them?
    I'm guessing it is just a few persons and/or bots attacking us.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just blasted some more spammers!! Nobody messes up my youtube section with spam!

I'm not sure there is much we can to to keep all spammers off the site. We will always have to deal with the real people spammers who get through any automatic filters we have.

The best thing is for all members to help us by flagging spam as soon as you see it. The mods will get a message about it and either the forum mod or a global mod will get it hopefully right away. There are enough of us around the world that normally someone is awake in a time zone to deal with it. For example, I was able to ban a spammer in the middle of his spamming spree cause someone flag the spam in my forum section.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. Beginning dancer. Knows nothing.
    2. Intermediate dancer. Knows everything. Too good to dance with beginners.
    3. Hotshot dancer. Too good to dance with anyone.
    4. Advanced dancer. Dances everything. Especially with beginners
    ~ Attributed to Dick Crum, a folk dance teacher ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cheart View Post
    The best thing is for all members to help us by flagging spam as soon as you see it. The mods will get a message about it and either the forum mod or a global mod will get it hopefully right away. There are enough of us around the world that normally someone is awake in a time zone to deal with it. For example, I was able to ban a spammer in the middle of his spamming spree cause someone flag the spam in my forum section.
    This is key, IMHO. All of us need to take some responsibility. If you see it, flag it, and one of the mods will review it. Not sure? Flag it.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast