Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Spam flood

Post Thanks / Like

I think Yame may have a good idea there, as there seems to be a persistent batch at the moment, all posting very wordy messages with links 'cunningly' concealed in each post.

Post Thanks / Like

Just marked a bunch of spam. I have to agree with Yame as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Idea

I'm almost certain that Salome and the mods have considered temporarily suspending new memberships. However, I think it is necessary to measure the impact that it would have on the truly interested folks that should have admittance, against the benefits gained by such a suspension.

A modified approach might be an 'application' process, where persons wishing admission must be 'cleared' before entering. This may create additional work for the mods, who would then become functional admins, but it can have immediate impact on the individuals seeking places to spam, thereby reduced some of what the mods are doing. Concurrently, the mods/admins can be sifting through the > 12000 logins, and eliminating or suspending those which are questionable, or are know to spam. Those that are suspended must be validated through an appeal process (similar to the 'cleared' aforementioned).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yame View Post
    Have you guys thought of locking up new registrations for a week or so while you clean up the existing spammers? Maybe that would keep things under control for a bit.

My suggestion would be to do that and then implement a simple screening process moving forward.
    Screening/approving new registrations is one idea being looked at Salome is trying to find the best solutions. The spammers really make it difficult to keep forums open without heaps of bells & whistles, it's such a shame.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I just want to say I've been keeping an eye on the board (because of all the spam) and I am very impressed with how quickly you are all taking care of it. Thank you for your hard work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I just want to say I've been keeping an eye on the board (because of all the spam) and I am very impressed with how quickly you are all taking care of it. Thank you for your hard work.
    Thank you Lately I barely have had time to actually read a lot of posts. I think the air around me is quite "blue" at the moment, due to the constant uttering of choice expletives
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

How about not allowing opsts to go through unless they have been moderated for new members? If there are more bogus than real this shouldn't be much more bother than mopping up after them - and could possibly cause spam to dry up.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! The spammers are hitting this morning. So, help the mods, flag 'em as you see 'em!

Post Thanks / Like

*sigh* I would like to go to bed sometime tonight. Stupid spam monkeys!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    *sigh* I would like to go to bed sometime tonight. Stupid spam monkeys!
    Y'know, I'd love to help, but sometimes I'm unable to find the time to get in here as often as would be necessary to do a really good job of it.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast