Spam flood

LilithNoor

I think Yame may have a good idea there, as there seems to be a persistent batch at the moment, all posting very wordy messages with links 'cunningly' concealed in each post.

Harry

I'm almost certain that Salome and the mods have considered temporarily suspending new memberships. However, I think it is necessary to measure the impact that it would have on the truly interested folks that should have admittance, against the benefits gained by such a suspension.

A modified approach might be an 'application' process, where persons wishing admission must be 'cleared' before entering. This may create additional work for the mods, who would then become functional admins, but it can have immediate impact on the individuals seeking places to spam, thereby reduced some of what the mods are doing. Concurrently, the mods/admins can be sifting through the > 12000 logins, and eliminating or suspending those which are questionable, or are know to spam. Those that are suspended must be validated through an appeal process (similar to the 'cleared' aforementioned).

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Have you guys thought of locking up new registrations for a week or so while you clean up the existing spammers? Maybe that would keep things under control for a bit.

My suggestion would be to do that and then implement a simple screening process moving forward.
Screening/approving new registrations is one idea being looked at:D Salome is trying to find the best solutions. The spammers really make it difficult to keep forums open without heaps of bells & whistles, it's such a shame.
~Mosaic

Ariadne

I just want to say I've been keeping an eye on the board (because of all the spam) and I am very impressed with how quickly you are all taking care of it. Thank you for your hard work.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I just want to say I've been keeping an eye on the board (because of all the spam) and I am very impressed with how quickly you are all taking care of it. Thank you for your hard work.
Thank you:D Lately I barely have had time to actually read a lot of posts. I think the air around me is quite "blue" at the moment, due to the constant uttering of choice expletives:lol:
~Mosaic

jenc

How about not allowing opsts to go through unless they have been moderated for new members? If there are more bogus than real this shouldn't be much more bother than mopping up after them - and could possibly cause spam to dry up.

Salome

Administrator
I've turned off automated registration. All new members have to be approved by a moderator. We are going to do a trial period of this and see how works out.

Yame

Thanks, Salome! Hopefully that will help cut down on the spam.

It's unfortunate that this sort of thing is even necessary, but I've come to expect it. There are very few forums nowadays that can automatically accept all new logins, because spam is such a big problem everywhere now.

Darshiva

THANKYOU!

From the bottom of my heart and the shreds of what's left of my sanity, THANKYOU!

Last edited:

shiradotnet

:lol:What an irony, to have spam show up on a thread about the Spam Flood!

This isn't meant to be a criticism - I know you guys are working hard to deal with it. It just gave me a laugh!

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Whoa, This has just been set up for a few hours and me and Mosaic have already unapproved and deleted around 25 spammers who would have made it onto the board otherwise. So far it's much less work. I hope you will all enjoy the (hopefully) spam-free environment:D

shiradotnet

Whoa, This has just been set up for a few hours and me and Mosaic have already unapproved and deleted around 25 spammers who would have made it onto the board otherwise. So far it's much less work. I hope you will all enjoy the (hopefully) spam-free environment:D

Glad to hear that the new approach is less work for you guys than the previous one! And again, thank you to all the moderators and to Salome for dealing with this stuff!