Spam flood

shiradotnet

At the moment probably a good 75 to 90% are spammers. Yesterday 40-45 spammers to 2 legit I think it was, today ( so far) around 26 spammers 0 legit.

When it is quiet maybe 5 -8 spammers to every 1 legit.

Other forums are being hit with around 95% spammer regos, & at the moment 100 to 400 spammer registrations day, they must be very active forums. I would curl up & die at 100 a day
~Mosaic

Wow, that's *really* a big pain in the neck for the mods! And all of this is AFTER the captcha was installed? So this is how many are making it through the captcha?

Once again, a big THANK YOU to all the moderators for your efforts in keeping the spammers out!

Farasha Hanem

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand the last two posts are an example of what we've been discussing here. -_- I noticed he was triple-banned! :lol:

Sirène

Is it my imagination or do oriental dance sites seem to be in someone's crosshairs? Bhuz also appears to have higher flooding than usual, and Leila of Cairo's site got hacked. :think:

Ariadne

I must admit to noticing the same thing. I wonder if it's the same person. Can an IP address be banned or do they just change them?

~Diana~

AFK Moderator
I've just blasted some more spammers!! Nobody messes up my youtube section with spam! :protest:

I'm not sure there is much we can to to keep all spammers off the site. We will always have to deal with the real people spammers who get through any automatic filters we have.

The best thing is for all members to help us by flagging spam as soon as you see it. The mods will get a message about it and either the forum mod or a global mod will get it hopefully right away. There are enough of us around the world that normally someone is awake in a time zone to deal with it. For example, I was able to ban a spammer in the middle of his spamming spree cause someone flag the spam in my forum section.

Harry

The best thing is for all members to help us by flagging spam as soon as you see it. The mods will get a message about it and either the forum mod or a global mod will get it hopefully right away. There are enough of us around the world that normally someone is awake in a time zone to deal with it. For example, I was able to ban a spammer in the middle of his spamming spree cause someone flag the spam in my forum section.

This is key, IMHO. All of us need to take some responsibility. If you see it, flag it, and one of the mods will review it. Not sure? Flag it.

jenc

Does the little green daisy with one red petal mean they have already been reported. Don't want to bombard the mods by erpeat reports

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Does the little green daisy with one red petal mean they have already been reported. Don't want to bombard the mods by erpeat reports
No that is one of those chat programs can't remember which one
~Mosaic

Mosaic

Super Moderator
What under their name where we have reputatuion?
Yes if you look at my name I have a Y which is for the yahoo messenger
~Mosaic
Just checked what the flower thing is it is ICQ chat

Last edited:

shiradotnet

If the same spammer posts two messages on a single thread, should I click the icon on both spam messages to report both of them? Or is it sufficient to click on just one of the messages on the thread and assume the mod will see the second spam message?

Why is there an enforced delay of 60 seconds between reporting spam messages? If I see two spam messages, this just makes it inconvenient to me to report the second one. When I click on a second spam message to report it, and get this message telling me I have to wait 30 seconds before reporting a second one, it usually just annoys me and I abandon the attempt to report the second. I don't see why I should be waste time waiting around for an extra 30 seconds just to tell you about a second spam.

LilithNoor

Do you want details and the like in the reports?

I have just been sending one word messages saying 'spam', since i figured you didn't have the time or inclination to wade through my blithering as well!

Mosaic

Super Moderator
Do you want details and the like in the reports?

I have just been sending one word messages saying 'spam', since i figured you didn't have the time or inclination to wade through my blithering as well!
Just saying 'spam' is fine:D
~Mosaic

Yame

Have you guys thought of locking up new registrations for a week or so while you clean up the existing spammers? Maybe that would keep things under control for a bit.

My suggestion would be to do that and then implement a simple screening process moving forward.