Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with name for a move.

Do you mind helping me out with a name for this move and its variations?

I am teaching it to my class and I am at loss as to what to call it. I have it in my notebook as "butt walk" but since that is both in english and kind of unrefined I'd like to use a better name.

The step is the one where you travel to the side (most often) and push one hip/buttock out and back with the foot. The variations I am teaching at the moment is: 1. push out/back and feet together with a slow shimmy, pretty much as in the first video, and 2. push out on a shimmy and feet together no shimmy.

The sounds in my head go 1. dak drr rrr and 2. drrrr dak
    are you getting this?

This lovely dancer is doing it at 0:52-0:57

And Sadie is showing it slowly at 0:45 and faster at 3:47.

Sadie calls this "arabic 1" or Samiha. I've heard Samiha before for a similar but slightly different move. I don't like names with numbers as I can't connect dance moves with numbers in this way. By experience I know my mind can't manage.

What are your names for the move?
    I don't mind getting several different suggestions and I'm not looking for "the ultimate truth". Just a nicer name that "butt walk" and something I and my students can remember.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a variation on a butta to me - if you removed the shimmy/changed it slightly you'd get that look.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

A "butta"? Do you know why it's called that way and who you got the name from? Just curious

Post Thanks / Like

I got the name from Barbara Wolfkamp who says it's a Reda name for the move.

It's a push up (sort of 1/2way between to the side & to the back) with a shimmy down, slide step with the pushy hands like they are both using in the vids. The shaabi one is more accenty than the shimmyish one I was taught but otherwise pretty close. Sadie's version has a figure 8 in it which I've not seen before but will be finding its way into my course once I figure out how to do it.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, this probably won't help much, but at least one of my instructors calls that move (or something similar, where you really accent the push/release the foot) a "tush push". That's still very English, though, so I'm not sure if it helps any at all... Makes it easy to remember, though, if you do speak English.

Post Thanks / Like

my personal term for that move is "pushies" I can't remember what it was called (if anything) when I first learned it...

Post Thanks / Like

Side step with opposite hip extension.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I was taught that as a Batta ( similar to Darshiva's Butta) also told it is a Reda move. To me Batta sounds flamenco-ish in name, maybe it came from something in flamenco? any flamenco dancers around???
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

Mosaic, we may well have the same name for it (given how the western ear picks up ME accent so very differently). The way that Barb said it sounded like a combo between an a & an o and of course I associated it with my butt...up so maybe that's where the difference comes from?
    Bellydance in Kyabram!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Mosaic, we may well have the same name for it (given how the western ear picks up ME accent so very differently). The way that Barb said it sounded like a combo between an a & an o and of course I associated it with my butt...up so maybe that's where the difference comes from?
    So true, and if you said batta with a bit of a posh accent it would sound like butta. I can see how you would associate it with "butt-up" I love that step, it is cheeky & fun!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast