Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you checked out the Belly Dance Dictionary? It's owned by a dancer named Nayana from Wisconsin. I learn a lot of names of moves from her site...and she has them referrred to with terms that are really easy to remember and associate with the moves. (for students)

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LadyLoba View Post
    Have you checked out the Belly Dance Dictionary? It's owned by a dancer named Nayana from Wisconsin. I learn a lot of names of moves from her site...and she has them referrred to with terms that are really easy to remember and associate with the moves. (for students)
    This? the SOUL studio: Bellydance Dictionary

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't but I went to check it out just now. I can't immediately find the move in question but I'll look a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally I got enough time to see the videos as well.
    In my book, it would be a variation of a Samiha/Samia with a slow and marked haggalla (or sideways down-weighted 3/4 shimmy on one hip).

Gisela: How is the Samiha you've learnt?
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Found the perfect example. A video with the very dancer and the very choreography where I learnt the Samiha.
    At 4.50 -4.54

Samiha might be the "right" word for me actually. I learnt it with crossing the legs but essentially it is the same hip movement as the open leg step.

Here's a suhaila version.
    Samiha - YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a hot tip on facebook that Samasem's danceschool in Stockholm,Sweden uses Samiya as a umbrella term for all the variations on this movement. I might be close to the solution here.

Post Thanks / Like

In the first clips that's what we call a Saiidi step (we being the class I'm in , probably from JWAAD school terminology). The basic version is just the feet going step together step together on a slight diagonal sideways, only you are heavy on the leading foot and ball of the foot on the other, so it's kind of limpy. AND you are pushing the hips up and down so the hip on the leading side goes down onto a soft knee when you step and the butt flips up behind on the trailing side; the heel stays up on that side and supports.

Then I am told you layer an Egyptian walk on it so the effect is a shimmy on the butt flip (you can see an extra down-up on the trailing hip in clip #1). Though I just tried geeking that out with the weight shifts and got in a mess so I'm going to ask my teacher. Ha! I knew there was a reason I get stuck, pinpointed it, THANK YOU GISELA!

Anyhoo, it looks all folky keeping it low and heavy, especially with arms as per the first clip. I don't know what we'd call it if we went up on balls of feet, changed the feet positions do the back foot is more behind etc., like in the Samasem clip. Saiidi step would be confusing!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I was taught that as a Batta ( similar to Darshiva's Butta) also told it is a Reda move. To me Batta sounds flamenco-ish in name, maybe it came from something in flamenco? any flamenco dancers around???
    ~Mosaic
    Batta is Egyptian for "duck" - and is what Dr Mo Geddawi calls it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123