Glute help

IsisAQ

Any tips on glute isolations? I know it takes time and patience but any extra advice, please? It's frustrating :wall:

Kashmir

Probably a silly question - but why do you want to do glute isolations?

Next question - can you isolate them now? ie can you fire one with the other relaxed and then change? If so practice that with speed then weight changes and other things going on - like walking etc.

If you cannot - try poking a pencil mid-butt. That feedback will help you find your glute.

Last edited:

jjj

I'm sorry I don't know how your using the word isolation in here. Do you want to reduce, harden or uplift?

LilithNoor

Glutes can be tricky, and they need a lot of practice!

My teacher worked us really hard on glute isolations over the summer, and it was surprising how even some of the best dancers in the class struggled to isolate the glute muscles and get a visible 'squeeze' out of them.

We tried a variety of positions, like standing with fingers placed on each cheek to 'prod' the muscle into firing- my teacher is a big fan of pushing good, as is going on all fours with your ass in the air- both positions take your weight off your bottom so yyou can access it easier. Some people like sitting on the floor in a straddle position, but you have to shift your weight around before you can really get into the muscles.

I've never used glute isolations on their own in dancing, but I like the extra 'kick' a glute squeeze can add to some hip moves- they really change the feel of a hip drop. I also love the use of a glute shimmy as an accent, especially with a fringed costume to make those beads dance!

IsisAQ

Thanks guys!!! My teachers has us do glute isolations (squeezing each cheek right to left), usually in the straddle position, sometimes standing or walking. It's challenging. I will try your suggestions. Gracias!!!:D