Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prenatal bellydance video reviews

I hope this is the right place to post this (if not, someone please slap my wrist!)... I've been working with and reviewing bellydance (and other dance) prenatal workouts.

The latest is Jennifer Jiménes' Let's Dance Together - Prenatal Dance Fitness. It's not really bellydance, but I think would be of interest to bellydancers because of the lovely focus on improvisational dance, exploring movement, and so on.

Earlier I reviewed Amira's Bellydance and Yoga for Pregnancy, Sera Solstice's Goddess Dance, and Naia's Bellydance Prenatal Fitness.

As I say in one of my reviews, part of what I find surprising is how individual each of the programs is! I know I'm a video junkie, but I love working with them all because they're organized so differently. And I'd love to hear what your experiences are with prenatal bellydance too...

Post Thanks / Like

Prenatal belly dance didn't work for me; my pregnancies were fragile and I spent a lot of time laying down. I envy those who can dance all the way to labor!
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shanazel View Post
    Prenatal belly dance didn't work for me; my pregnancies were fragile and I spent a lot of time laying down. I envy those who can dance all the way to labor!
    Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that! Mine was technically high risk too, and I worried about being on bed rest (I was under close observation), but I've been able to stay active. It's been a lifesaver...

I have this fantasy of dancing through early labour, and have been making my ME music playlist for it, but in all the childbirth ed class, the women in the labour videos look like they want to do anything *but* dance! So I may have to cave in to reality...

Post Thanks / Like

I wish you the very best pregnancy, labor, delivery, and new momdom possible! I couldn't have danced through labor even if I'd thought of it; I was hooked up to a monitor the whole time. After a miscarriage or three, I abandoned all romantic expectations for labor: all I wanted in the world was to get my babies out safely.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

I hear you... I actually haven't had any romantic expectations of labour until recently, and I agree that it's all about getting them out safely. That's my definition of a successful pregnancy and labour!

And many thanks for your kind good wishes. It's all a bit scary when I think about it (I keep wondering, "What was I thinking seven months ago?"), but people keep telling me the result is worth it...

Post Thanks / Like

It is indeed worth it... though someday you'll probably find yourself wondering, "What in the #*!# was I thinking fifteen years ago???"

Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I'm looking forward to what I understand is the sweet spot -- between the age when the child stops stinking of poop and pee, and the age when he starts stinking of sweat and old gym socks.

Post Thanks / Like

Big Grin

I didn't use specific prenatal DVDs as I had danced for years before so I just kept dancing during (performed at 34weeks with my 1st and taught up until 2 days prior to birth with both). I was strapped to a bed for my first labour and the only time my bp came down was the couple of minutes I was allowed up to dance, and I danced for about 8 solid hours with my second labour - hip circles, pelvic circles and shimmies were amazing pain relief. My ob said "can't u b still for a minute while I examine u" I apparently moo-ed at her and my husband said "she's a belly dancer she doesn't do still".

I work in women's health and I was just reading that apparently shimmying after birth significantly reduces the chance of post natal depression. Something to do with the deep full body shake. May be a load of rubbish but my thoughts are as soon as u r able post birth get up and shimmy - Pnd is nasty and a shimmy is worth a try! I will see if I can find the info about it

Post Thanks / Like

Emmab81, I have this fantasy of bellydancing through early labour -- just staying at home as long as possible, putting the iPod on, and moving around gently. I know birth plans often don't work they way they're supposed to, and in fact, I had no such thing when I got pregnant, but now for better or worse I do. And this is the main part of it.

If you find the bit about shimmying, I'd love to see it!

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck with your pregnancy & labor, sure hope you can dance even if a little throughout When I had my babes there was no such thing as Dance DVDs for pregnancy/labor. I wish there had been that's for sure!
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast