Post Thanks / Like

Default Uncle M Advice

Hi Everyone!

I bought the Uncle Malfufo drum cd last year in addition to Jamila's cd to help me leap from 'OK' to intermediate in my zill playing. Uncle M's cd is basically him playing several styles of beats, which is great for learning to recognize the different drum patterns.

I've had much success leaping off from Jamila's cd because it's a guided drill, for the most part. However, I've had multiple folks tell me I MUST get Uncle M's cd because it's so good. Well, I put it in and listened to it several times, and just don't know what to DO with it!

I'm embarrassed to ask this question, but how do you best use this cd (or one like it) to practice and increase your zills skills?

Thanks!
    Last edited by astro_girl; 01-26-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that CD, but I suppose you are meant to try to follow along, although that would be difficult unless you are quite good at zill playing, because your own playing would drown out the CD. Does he talk you through the rhythms, do them slowly so you can follow/copy, or is it all just at normal speed?
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

There is no talking through the beats, and it's just a few minutes' playing of each type of rhythm (i.e., malfouf, maksoum, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
    I don't have that CD, but I suppose you are meant to try to follow along, although that would be difficult unless you are quite good at zill playing, because your own playing would drown out the CD. Does he talk you through the rhythms, do them slowly so you can follow/copy, or is it all just at normal speed?
    ~Mosaic

Post Thanks / Like

I believe you are supposed to play along with it so you can not only practice drilling with the different melodies but try out different sounds (D, T, t, and clicks) with it.