Thread: skype or dvds

Post Thanks / Like

Default skype or dvds

I have since gotten back into bd. Right now I'm not sure if I should get a skype teacher or just stick to dvds. that reason that I would think of skype isn't that there aren't any local teachers, its just that I can't make it with no transportation.

and I was hoping to get feedback on things i may be doing wrong, y'know?

or if I should just get some mirrors and stick to my dvds? although, i'm not even sure i should get the mirrors lol, my kidz ARE pretty destructive.

Post Thanks / Like

What, you can get a bellydance teacher via Skype??! I am so glad you mentioned this, because I'm currently in an area where there are literally NO bellydance teachers within a 50+ mile radius and I'm limited to learning only from DVDs...

I think you should get the Skype teacher (although I am curious exactly how this setup would work out), and practice on the side with mirror/DVDs. Or maybe just set up a Skype appointment to make sure you're doing it right.
    Last edited by xfiendfyre; 01-26-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow...I didn't even realize there were teachers who conducted classes over Skype. What an interesting idea! I suppose Skype is better than a DVD, but still not preferred to IRL instruction.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello, I do, yes. (info is on my website under 'shop', link is in my sig)

It depends on what you want from your dance education. Skype will give you verbal feedback and immediate at that. DVD will give you 'whenever I want to dance' lessons instead of having to stick to the schedule of a dancer who may be in a different time zone.

Weigh up the pros & cons of both and make a decision based on what's best for you.
    Last edited by Darshiva; 01-26-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: spoonerism
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

well right now i'm limited on money but maybe i can get some private lessons or join a very small class or whatever after tax returns or whatever. maybe I'll just get some for maybe a 3-month period or something.

Post Thanks / Like

get a video camera and film yourself. You will see things that you don't notice in front of mirrors. don't be too hard on yourself though - filmed performance also shows up things that aren't noticed in live performance.

If you have filmed something that you feel is truly aweful - pick out ONe thing you could improve on and work on that.

you can also post privately on youtube to be viewed by invitation only so that you can invite criticisms from a friendly source!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say do both. Ideally you should take classes in person, but even in-person classes can be supplemented nicely with DVDs.

If you can't find classes in person, then Skype can be somewhat of a substitute. It's better than DVDs in terms of individual feedback, but it's nowhere near the same as having someone actually see you and give you feedback in person. It's also not necessarily better than DVDs in terms of the quality of image and instruction, as DVDs are professionally filmed and edited.

I am actually considering offering classes via Skype in the future, but based on my very frequent usage of Skype for interacting with friends and family who are far away, and having used Skype to try and rehearse for a duet with a friend who lives far, I have to say it seems like it would be very frustrating for both parties due to issues with lag in image and sound, overall sound and image quality, and logistical problems like having to change camera placement and angle depending on what is being taught and what issues the student is having.

Some of these issues can be mitigated with good equipment, but that's an investment that needs to be made on both ends and not just the teacher's. Other issues happen due to bad internet connection on either end or bad connection on Skype's end, and that's often something that is out of people's control.

So while it could work, it might be a bit of a hassle, and it's definitely not the same as in-person classes.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just found my old dance instructor and hopefully I'll find out time and location and try next month. I was soooo excited when I found out, lol.

so now I'll hope to get feedback.