Folk dances of egypt

Ahava_Melantha

does anyone know where i can find GOOD videos and educaitonal sources for folk dances in egypt. like saiidi and ghawazee ( i think its egyptian). I would LOVE to know more.

shiradotnet

does anyone know where i can find GOOD videos and educaitonal sources for folk dances in egypt. like saiidi and ghawazee ( i think its egyptian). I would LOVE to know more.

Morocco sells a video on folk dances of Egypt, Nubia, and the Sudan. The production quality is a bit rough, but the dancing is excellent, and Morocco includes a bit of voiceover to explain a few things about the dance. I'd highly recommend despite the production quality. (This footage was filmed in the 1970's on a Super 8 film camera.)

Shakti

Karim Nagi has or (has atleast one in the works)on Saidi, Debke, ect... I do not know all of the details.
Serena Ramzy has one on Bedouin tribal dances, which I like very much!

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I don't know if she will ever make it to Alaska, but if you can take the Journey through Egypt workshop with Sahra Kent, it's a treasure trove of information about Egyptian folk dances. At the completion of the workshop, you get a dvd with footage of the dances.

Check youtube for JTE or Journey through Egypy. Sahra has a lot of clips of folk dances, but I don't have the link handy.