Fashion in belly dance over the years

arcane77

Culture does get affected by economy, I'm pretty sure. When ecomony changes you see differences in cultures too. Not sure how music gets affected, but it probably would as well. Very interesting to look into that, but not easy!

Obviously fashion trends change with the economy, I'm sure it applies to Costuming, wouldn't it? When times are tough how to make a great costume with a whole stack of fabric? Wouldn't the look in terms of fabric quantity go down?
I know that when the price of cotton shot up about 4-5 years ago, more synthetics were used and when I was manufacturing I couldn't get my garments made up for the price I used to pay. Changing to blended or synthetics was my only alternative to keeping price down but quality went with it too :/

Last edited:

Shanazel

Re: ribbon skirts.

My students use them over black pants and black tops for recitals. Tie a pretty sash on top of the ribbon skirt and you have a nice coordinated inexpensive look for a group performance. I'll have to see if I can find a picture somewhere.

indrayu

Mona's costume fringe looks like some kind of fibre or filament to me, but I can't think of what would be so shiny and not tangle. Strings of beads might be trouble waiting to happen, with all that swishing around!

Daimona

Mona's costume fringe looks like some kind of fibre or filament to me, but I can't think of what would be so shiny and not tangle. Strings of beads might be trouble waiting to happen, with all that swishing around!

It could be long silk fringes.

indrayu

It could be long silk fringes.

Ooh, luscious! Yes, it has that heavy-but-soft look. I might have developed a love of extravagant fringes if I could afford to buy silk by the kilometre :D

I love the simplicity of some of the Golden Era costumes (just glad about stretch fabrics for belly covering, and that bra-fitting has come a long way since then)

Some of the embellishments in that era were "interesting", like the effect on the ribbon skirt here. But I was so entranced by the dancing that it took a glance at the comments to alert me to the difference in grooming standards

Last edited by a moderator:

Amulya

I like those drapes from the bra on the belly!

Some of the embellishments in that era were "interesting", like the effect on the ribbon skirt here. But I was so entranced by the dancing that it took a glance at the comments to alert me to the difference in grooming standards

[/QUOTE]

The bra looks like the one recently posted in TPBDC :lol:

What did you mean by grooming standards?

Amulya

Time for tribal fusion and ATS fashion!

This type seems to already be outdated:

Replaced with the lighter coloured costumes like this one (Zoe Jakes):

A bit more busy design (Moria Chappell):

Or more colour (Rachel Brice):

Amulya

ATS doesn't seem to change much, but this is minus the turbans (I think this is Manhattan Tribal):

With turbans, Urban Gypsy:

Another type of fusion costume (Jadzia):

Does anyone have pictures of ITS costumes?

Amulya

Didn't see that at all, was just looking at the dancing and costume. But yes audiences are pickier these days

Aniseteph

Crown alert!!!

I think it looks good enough not to look too dated.

I also like the body stocking - are those leaves or kiss-prints up the legs? :D :shok:

Isn't that Soheir Zaki in the audience at 4:28?

Last edited: