Arabic 3

Taslin

I cant find any little you tube demos of someone doing this. I know how, i just feel ugly when i do it. Im looking for an example of someone doing this gracefully/gorgeous to help me see what i could polish up on mine.

Its in a choreo im learning, and i do it, but id like a visual aid that is stunning to see. At first i didnt like the move, but now im wondering if its just because i dont do it well-this has happened to me a few times. I will like a move better after i polish it up-see someone else do it awesome.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows of any examples. (i also am never really sure if i am identifying it in routines, is why im asking for outside help).

p.s. it is the arabic with the twist, in case there is vocab confusion. Or the undulation stepping front , back, and the twist right.

Last edited:

gisela

Super Moderator
Sorry I can't figure out which move this is. Is it a basic single move or is it more like a combo?

shiradotnet

I'm familiar with this move. I don't know of any youtube clips that show it, but I do have a question: Do you like the way it looks when your teacher does it? Have you asked your teacher to help you figure out what's not working for you?

Gisela, it's one of Jamila Salimpour's movements.

Taslin

I do like the way it looks when my teacher does it, however,i know she would feel uncomfortable asking to be taped doing it , because i know her :0(

I want something to freeze frame while i assess my arms, all parts that may be making it not flattering.

I found the basic arabic (ATS) on youtube but not w/ the twist. I am thinking that going into the twist and back out is where i get awkward looking.

Gisela, itd be more of a combo. The basic arabic is like an undulation w/a rocking step (i think, im not a teacher but thats how my newbie eyes see and feel it) and then 3 adds a twist to the right ...and then you go right back into the undulation while stepping.
It is kind of "camel" like in the beginning. Then you add the twist and repeat. Ive danced w/ 2 teachers, i have only done heard arabic 3 the teacher who is teaching us ATS basics. W/ my other teacher the closest thing w/ did was a camel type walking undulation (but it was a drill across the floor , not really a combo or step).

Shira im going to study her extra hard, next class. I just wanted to improve before then. I know Rome wasn't built in a day, im just super eager to improve. She also might let us tape her once the choreo is done (someone asked, i could tell she didnt feel super comfortable w/ it) -again me just wanting to get it down before that :0)

Last edited:

psychobilly5

I cant find any little you tube demos of someone doing this. I know how, i just feel ugly when i do it. Im looking for an example of someone doing this gracefully/gorgeous to help me see what i could polish up on mine.

I'm assuming this is what you mean.

ATS TRIBAL ARABIC HIP TWIST AND HALF TURN - YouTube

It's not exactly how ATS dancers a la FatChanceBellyDance does it but very close. There is not as much slurpiness of the body in the movement if you know what I mean. The lady in the video does the second undulation/arabic a little more dramatically than I've seen ATS dancers do it.

Look at some FCBD or Devyani videos and you might find them doing it. I believe they term it Arabic Hip Twist rather than Arabic 3.

Taslin

Is she doing the move at 3:50 in this video?

Yes! :clap: Thank you. Only i look like a penguin stuck to the floor when i try to come back in from the twist. Grrrr. she looks great. smooth and juicy twist.....she only does it like 2 times.

I need to work on my twist and recovery from it.

Taslin

I'm assuming this is what you mean.

ATS TRIBAL ARABIC HIP TWIST AND HALF TURN - YouTube

It's not exactly how ATS dancers a la FatChanceBellyDance does it but very close. There is not as much slurpiness of the body in the movement if you know what I mean. The lady in the video does the second undulation/arabic a little more dramatically than I've seen ATS dancers do it.

Look at some FCBD or Devyani videos and you might find them doing it. I believe they term it Arabic Hip Twist rather than Arabic 3.

This is more what my teacher looks like when she does it-well a little more controlled not so big but the gist of it. I still don't look this pretty even.

Thank you both. Now i have some visual aids to really analyze. I so appreciate all the help people give on here. Vocabulary can be challenging Thank you for pointing out an alternate name, this may help me too :0)

And thanks Shira again for always caring to look into the history of the move- my teacher totally is into Suhaila.

Last edited:

Taslin

Also on the one gisela posted her feet appear to be doing what i was instructed to, on the other one i cant see her feet grrrrr. Pet peeve of mine. Live instruction is best but still,lol.

SeeJaneDance

If you keep watching the Suhaila video, around 5:20 you can see it from a different angle (she does it several times between 3:50 and then) and it really lets you see how she's driving the twist, how her whole leg goes into it.

The instructor who taught this to us used the mantra "step, ball, twist, twist" to break it down. We never really went anywhere with it, but maybe if you practiced it slowly, by itself, like that, it would help.

Last edited:

Taslin

"Step, ball, twist, twist" is an awesome mantra...i could't remember what i was told about the feet exactly!

Awesome. I have class tomorrow, but at least i have been practicing it correctly in between.

And one of the things Ive may be doing is stepping out too far and even stepping to the side (as opposed to returning, or in normal stance) to twist.

Last edited:

Amanda (was Aziyade)

"Step, ball, twist, twist" is an awesome mantra...i could't remember what i was told about the feet exactly!

That's the ATS version of the step. Jamila taught (and you can see it demonstrated in the video) a lower body undulation with what is basically half of a figure eight back to front -- not a twist. The footwork as Jamila taught it was one foot forward of the other, and starting with the forward foot: flat ball ball ball.

Subtle difference, but a difference still. This is one of the many weird inconsistencies in ATS from what Jamila originally taught.

SeeJaneDance

Ayizade, "flat, ball, ball, ball" is actually what our instructor started with, but the other was what she landed on to really get the step in our heads. Of course, she was teaching it with a twist...now that I know what I'm looking at, I totally see the figure 8 in the video! It's a much smoother move. Though it also looks like she's releasing her foot for the figure 8, is that true, or is that just the camera angle?

Taslin

aziyade i talked to my instructor who basically stated what you did :eek:)

Our area has a habit of using the fig.8 so she taught us the ats way prior a while back,but is using the jamila way in the choreo.

^I think i have that right. this move has been more troublesome than i magined it would be,lol.