Post Thanks / Like

Default Food! Glorious food (at shimmy pace)

When it is a busy evening and you have to eat something nutritious, what are your favourites?

Here are a couple of my standards. Please add yours!

Stir Fry

When short on time, I don't bother with cooking meat or fancy sauces. Leftover cooked meat such as roast chicken works well.

After having tried all combinations of equipment, I now know the traditional wok and extra-fast gas ring works best. A wide frying pan can substitute. A wide wooden or bamboo stirrer works better than a wooden spoon. With the right equipment, you can be gobbling within 3 minutes of starting to cook! (Oh, I often don't bother with the rice or noodles either. If you need the carbs, start them cooking before chopping the vegies)

The basic method is:

Get any edible, crunchy "salad" vegies from the fridge (minus lettuce but include eggplant) Garlic, ginger and chilli are a must.

Chop all the ingredients first

Heat oil in pan/wok. Olive oil doesn't really suit the flavours. Anything used in East Asia, or a bland one like grapeseed oil taste better.

Start frying from the hardest vegetable e.g. celery and keep it moving. Eggplant goes in early, but garlic overcooks easily so leave it until later.

Keep adding and stirring until everything is bright-coloured and fragrant. Slosh on a bit of soy sauce, Tabasco or what you fancy. Fresh coriander is always nice on top.

It's ready!

If you want those strips of omelette and have a couple of minutes more, whisk an egg in a bowl with a dribble of water and soy sauce. Pour it into the wok, swirling as you go to get a thin layer. When set, slide it out onto a chopping board and cut into thin strips to put on top.

And when there's 1001 things to do at home but none of them leave much time for cooking, here's another favourite:

Baked vegetable layers

This works well with more starchy vegetables, plus garlic and herbs (of course!)

Slice available vegetables into thin layers crosswise. Potato, pumpkin, turnip and parsnip work well, and onion.

Lightly oil a baking dish-olive oil is good here.

Arrange the vegies in layers, with a sprinkle of garlic, herbs and oil between each. I leave protein-dense things out of this one, but if you are good with beans and legumes, I imagine they would be good here.

Cover and bake at 180 Celsius for at least half an hour. You can check it when you are able; the texture will be a bit soft anyway, so overcooking won't be noticeable. It's also a bit oily, but you'll need the calories for dancing, won't you?

Please add yours!
    Last edited by indrayu; 02-05-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: spaces

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, forgot to add

in the Stir Fry some sesame seeds or oil added near the end and heated through add flavour and oomph (give more yang to a yin dish, I've been told) or raw cashews go well with chicken.

The Baked Vegies benefit from some chilli, too. Even if you don't like hot flavours, a couple of drops of Tabasco blend in and give it a lift without being noticeably hot.

Post Thanks / Like

Any sort of spaghetti sauce is really easy to make, low maintenance and it can cook for however short or long a time you want. I usually make spaghetti with sausage or meatballs, but when I dont have meat on hand and dont have the time to get it, I make something like puttanesca sauce.
    For a good sized meal with leftovers (note: I come from an Italian American family and do not even know how to cook small things ) These are the ingredients:
    -pour some olive oil in the pot, put on lowish/mediumish heat, cook 2 or 3 cloves of garlic and 1 can of anchovy fillets in the olive oil
    -add 2 28 oz cans of plain diced tomatoes (dont get cans with added seasoning)
    -add one really small can of tomato paste
    -a good splash of red wine
    -basil
    -parsley
    -crushed red pepper (stir and taste as you go, add depending on how much spice you like)
    -1/3 cup of capers, brine drained (NO MORE than 1/3 of a cup, I would recommend a little less, actually)
    -add chopped black pearl and/or kalamata olives
    ----kalamata are more robust, so if you dont like that you can just go with black pearl. In terms of amount, it doesnt matter so much, whatever feels right to you. ...I don't believe in measuring things...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not that much of a cook. Hubby usually does the cooking in the house. But the few things I do cook, I think I do quite well.

I like making my own bruschetta. But I have a secret ingredient. I use garlic olive oil that I make myself. ( You can BUY it if you like but its cheaper and stronger if you make it yourself. Especially if you REALLY LIKE garlic! )

I chop up some garlic cloves and add it to a plastic squirt bottle, enough to cover the bottom. Then I add the olive oil on top and let it steep at room temps for a few days before using.

For bruschetta I buy a large loaf of Italian bread and slice it thick. Then I brush on the garlic/olive oil. Then I add whatever veggies I like, usually chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, one fresh basil leaf from the garden on each slice of bread. I squirt a little more garlic/olive oil on top and place a slice of whatever cheese I like on top. ( You can opt for no cheese but the cheese kinda acts as glue to keep it all together. ) Bake it in the oven until the bread looks lightly tanned, about 20 minutes and serve.

( I saved the day at a family reunion one time when my cousin was making dinner and didn't have enough food for the number gathered. I made this to eat while dinner was cooking and it all got scarfed down like caviar! )

Indigo S.

Post Thanks / Like

I like animadanza's recipe for pasta sauce - in mine, I add curry seasoning, black pepper, Italian salad dressing, and Goya's sofrito for added flavor. Good stuff!

As for meat, Italian sausage or meatball go very well with that - you might cook the sausage separately in order to remove some of the fat.

Post Thanks / Like

Peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread

Post Thanks / Like

For simplicity & using up of leftovers you can't go past sushi.

Leftover roast chicken? chicken sushi!
    Leftover steak? beef sushi
    Leftover salad? vegetarian sushi

What's not to love?

Post Thanks / Like

I do a quick and healthy version of the traditional American breakfast for dinner..just scramble eggs...I like mine with melted cheese and salsa or hot sauce on top, replace the hash browns with some fresh fruit, and have a couple pieces of toast if I need some bread.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lasagna - Sauce

Sometimes when I make lasagna I use Pace Picante Sauce (Mexican salsa) instead of an Italian marinara or other sauce. It is surprisingly (and addictively!!) good....

Post Thanks / Like

Apples, bananas, yogurt, and a sandwich. I have no food prep. skillz :0(