Big girls and bellydance stuff.

Venefica

Somthing i was thinking aboute would not us big girls need a bid different style of costume than smaler girls? Aslo is there places to get bellydance stuff for bigger women, everything seam to be amied at thin pepole?

What type of costuming are you looking for? Tribal and Tribal fusion costumes feature large flowing skirts, or funky style harem pants with lots of fabric embellishments. This type of costuming style is more, forgiving than sequin-laden cabaret costumes. And trust me thin girls have as much trouble finding well-fitting costumes too. The problem is that women may have different proportions from top to bottom. Try dahlalinternationale.com, Belly Dance Costume & Dancing Supply with Moondance and ShimmyShimmy belly dance costumes, clothing, jewelry, accessories, and props. Let us know how it works out.
Yasmine

Last edited:

Venefica

I dont need a custume as of yet, the only time I ever dance for somone else is for my fiancee :O And that is mostly jerking around as I am a complete beginner. I was mostly wondering out of curiosity. I am going down in weight, doctors order, but I dont know how fast, and I know whit other clothes it is hard to find somthing that will fit if one is not thin. Thank you for the link. And yes I guess thin girls have problems whit such things to, but the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Shanazel

You can make a circle skirt or harem pants with elastic in the waist- cheap, fast, and fits many sizes. If you get too slim, you can always take in the elastic and seam in the garments. Pair them with a tank top and a pretty hip scarf, and you will feel perfectly elegant when you dance for your fiance.

Venefica

That is a good idea. I was thinking on perhaps getting some sparkly material, there are alot of that on slave now that the christmas season is over and everyone that was going to sew dresses have done so and the stores is trying to sell what they did not get sold to make room for new fabrics and sew a pair of simple harem pants and a bit long Tshirt thing over it, and tie it of whit one of the coin belts I bouth at a alternative congress last year, that might be nice.

Here is an idea I have been working on tonight, do you think this will work. A sleeveless long dress whit a simple cut and a wide skirt of some thin material. The top and bottom seperated by a sewn in almost transparent but not completly pice over the belly erea. The dress in black and perhaps whit some green ribons and such for decoration. Such a dress I can sew in as I grow slimer and it should not be to dificult to do, especialy since I have a mother that is extremly good at sewing that can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miss_Winnii

I once made a baladi dress from strechy chiffon, to blouse over a belt..it also looks good and dressed on a girl from my class that is a bit chubby

Zandra&Zindor

Your Dress Idea

I think your dress idea is nice.

You do not have to show your entire belly if you do not want to show it. I have seen dancers wear full-length dresses with small pieces of fabric cut out in some places, so that a little skin shows, but the rest is left to the imagination. I have also seen dancers wear full dresses or full skirts and dresses. You only need to show as much skin as you want to show!

I think the most important thing is to wear something that makes you feel confident and comfortable so that you can enjoy dancing.

To be honest, I'd rather watch larger dancers than some of the more famous young belly dancers who look like skin and bones. I want to see a belly dancer have at least SOME belly! I think curves are attractive. Some dancers put too much focus on being super skinny. In my opinion, it is more important to be a healthy dancer than a skinny dancer.

Happy day,
Zandra

Venefica

Well i am unhealtyly big and will go down, but ti takes time. i dont think i will be howing the entire belly, but have some halfway see through material over there, so it can be halfway seen. Tha k you so mutch for your post and your ideas.

Have a wonderful day.

Anja