Funky butt walk how to?Clips included

Birdlight

Hey lovely dancers
Hoping you can help me...There is a very popular move at the moment where the dancer pops her bum back whilst walking/shuffling, usually fast and in a circle...What is it called? I like to say wiggly bum push circle walk but thats a bit of a mouthful! I'd like to know how to do it as well if anyone has any tips?
its king of hagalla-ey in the bum angle but very 'pop' in the feel.

The prettiful dancer in thes video does it at around 2.30 to 2.36
Winner Boston Belly Dance Competition Professional 2011- Cassandra Fox - YouTube

And Suraiya does it with a layered shimmy at 3.30 to 3.40. Annoyingly I had a workshop with her in October and she taught us how to do it with maaanny variations but it was my last workshop on the last day of a dance weekender and my frazzled brain couldn't make it stick

Suraiya in Oslo - Baladi and Tabla solo - www.suraiya.pl - YouTube

(sorry will try and link to these properly in a tic)

Thank you all!

Ariadne

It looks to me like a Turkish shimmy layered with walking. Think of it as rapid forward and back steps while moving to the side. On the forward step the lower stomach muscles are contracted and on the back step the lower back muscles are contracted so that the step back gives it extra definition creating the "pop". It's also the "forward" step that is moving you in the circle which would be why the forward contraction is de-emphasized.

Yame

Just based on Cassandra's video (I didn't watch the other one), it's a pelvic tuck/release while walking on demi. I think some belly dancers call this footwork a "pas de bourrée," though a pas de bourrée in ballet is a little different. The tuck/release is timed with the footwork. For the butt to really pop, the accent should be on the release as opposed to the tuck.

You can layer that with a shimmy or not. In Cassandra's video I think she is. But then, you can just ask her, she is on the forum.

Ariadne

That's right, get all technical dance vocab on me. ;)

Yeah, I think Cassandra was layering a shimmy on it. The video of Suraiya doesn't have that layer so it's easier to see.
Yame's right though, you can always PM Cassandra (MissVega).

Birdlight

Marvellous, thank you ladies. I shall also PM Cassandra, good idea.

You have made it make sense in my head far more, I was trying to twist my bum out I think, rather than thinking of it as a tuck/release. It's also set off a vague memory of the workshop it was in. Excellent.

Wish I wasn't in the office right now or I'd be trying it out! I suppose I could try it anyway but my colleagues might not get it....:D

MissVega

Marvellous, thank you ladies. I shall also PM Cassandra, good idea.

You have made it make sense in my head far more, I was trying to twist my bum out I think, rather than thinking of it as a tuck/release. It's also set off a vague memory of the workshop it was in. Excellent.

Wish I wasn't in the office right now or I'd be trying it out! I suppose I could try it anyway but my colleagues might not get it....:D

So sorry for the delay in replying I'm just seeing this now. And watching the video (well waiting for it to load since I'm away from home and don't have the video on my laptop and my internet connection isn't super fast. Boo hiss.

I was in demi (on the balls of my feet) I did have a bit of drag due to dancing in the carpet, but such is life.
There are several variations and way in which I do this move. One important factor is to keep your foot steps consistent in speed and size of step. The size of the step there is fairly small and fairly rapid even though you can't see my feet in the video.

You can accent this move on the release or the tuck as yame said. Here I have smoothed it out so it is less dramatic. The emphasis is on the lift of my butt (dropping of my lower abdomen, versus tucking the abdomen sharply to drop the butt down). And instead of doing a direct tuck/release I'm actually rolling through them witgh a very shallow/subtle/barely there umi/omi/interior hip circle (whichever name you know the movement as). And yes it is layered with the shimmy.

Wow that was confusing and made no sense. I need more coffee,or possibly some good food. Sorry sleep deprived.LOL:lol:

Lets try point form step by step:
1. I'm using what I know as basic cross step. In that video I'm travelling to the right I'm leading with my right foot as it steps to the side and my left foot tracks behind it . Steps are kept consistent and relatively small and I'm on demi point.

2. Try a simple interior hip circle as you are doing the step. As you're doing the circle think about the release and "freedom" being on the release/dropping of the lower abdomen which happens as the butt is lifted as it rolls across from left to right.

3. Add shimmy to taste.

LOL I''ll probably post again in a couple of days to clarify as I can't stand up and do the move at the moment as I fell down some stairs late last night and slammed my lower back on the edge of the stair so it hurts to do anything dance wise as the moment.

It would figure that after an entire weekend of dance ocmpletely incident free, it's a staircase that takes me out. :confused:

Does that make sense?

Last edited:

MissVega

Okay, seriously? How do you get hurt so much? And how many lives do you have?

Accident prone I guess:( After all weekend of dance shenanigans at BDUC and getting through all of that incident free that happened. Hopefully it will go away in a couple of days.

LOL I'm assuming I was a cat in a past life and still have the 9 lives;)

Birdlight

Ouch! And how frustrating not dancing- I managed to screw my knee up running last year (running! Actual exercise! What was I thinking?!) and not dancing drove me nuts- hope you get better soone.
And thankyou for your reply- it does make sense, and thinking of it as a mini omi helps too. I just need to practise to get the foot/tuck timing right, that's quite tricky. THEN I shall add the shimmy, oh yes :D