Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spelling and the internet?

Has anyone noticed their spelling has taken a bit of a nose dive since they started using the internet ? I mean, hey, I am English, I have always used the English language and at one time I was very good at spelling, I had the mind for it, but since the internet, I have found American spelling colliding with English spelling and as most software is American, I am aware I am being re educated to spell in an American fashion.

Which is fine really as language has always evolved, but what is irritating is where now I don't know how to spell something where in the past I did, as is apparent when the browser shoves little red lines under words to indicate there is a spelling error. Even searching the word online to check the spelling often comes up with different versions.

Anyone else finding this ?

But if your spelling has taken a turn for the worst, how's your hand writing these days ?

Post Thanks / Like

Not directly related to the topic, but I can recall a youth training I did in 2005 and one of the participants protested that she can not think without a computer

However, as I am not a native speaker of English, those red lines often help me a lot. Or, when they appear under "tumour", "colour" etc. it makes me happy -it means I haven't completely converted to the common language of Europe - bad English

Post Thanks / Like

I must admit although I try, my re education in my vocabulary is a mix of American and the true and proper English language, the internet I accredit for that.

I still type colour instead of color, because it is the language usage that I was brought up with, but there are words I know that have become more American than they are English, particularly the more difficult words with silent letters in their construction.

But the English language is in fact a European mainland language because it is made up of much of Europe, mostly German, Frog, Scandinavian and what is left of the original British language which might also include a bit of Roman Italian, thus indicating which counties conquered our isles and added their bit of language.
    Last edited by khanjar; 02-11-2012 at 01:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe being a lot older than many of you here at least, I don't have a problem I continue to use the the spelling I was taught many, many moons ago & ignore the redlines that appear - education habits die hard & I am probably very set in my ways. I have my computer set to NZ spelling which is the same as UK for word docs & email, but just run with the ignore on the web.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

It's also just a matter of changing the dictionary settings and also if there is a word like "recognize"/"recognise", that you can just right click and add it to the dictionary.

What drives me insane isn't the location differences, it's the shorthand's effect on spelling. Wen kidz spel lik dis, i want2 stab mi 3iz out (When kids spell like this, I want to stab my eyes out.)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm of several minds on this topic:

1) Text speak drives me batty. So does the sTupId BouNcInG caPitAliZaTioN thing that makes no sense to me whatsoever.

2) Bad grammar, bad spelling, bad punctuation, etc, etc, abound on the 'Net. Mixing up two/to/too, or break/brake or my favorite peeve: lose/loose. The latter aren't even the same pronunciation, much less the same word!

3) With all that said, the English language needs some spelling and punctuation reform. I tend to use what is generally called "Logical Punctuation". Note position of period in the previous sentence. We need another Webster to clean up the spelling some more. Let's at least get rid of the "GHT": Nite, Lite, Frite, Site (both meanings now), etc.

4) For Goddess's sake, why can't EVERYONE use a browser with spell check?

5) Now I'm seeing the same types of mistakes and sloppy habits in mainstream print publications!

6) Because of my Greek language training, I want to get rid of the letter "C"! Its useless.

Post Thanks / Like

I love my spell checker.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, not so much my spelling as my not caring about typos and grammatical errors. I just dont care about punctuation and grammar on the interwebz...not too many people have complained. I still get my point across.

Post Thanks / Like

My spelling have has unfortunately gone from British english to American english during the last decade (I wish I could find a way to turn off the American english dictionary on my computer, as it would make it easier to keep to British english which was what taught in school). At least I hope I don't mix the two in the same documents or posts.

As a non-native english speaking/writing person, I have to be conscious about grammar and spelling when I write or speak to ensure that I will be understood by my audience. I must admit that I smile a bit inside when I am able to correct native-speakers' spelling and/or grammar, as it is a proof that I haven't forgotten everything. I am aware that some may be dyslexic and that not everybody cares, so I don't speak up about it unless it is really bad and I don't understand what is being said (and that being said, I would love to be corrected myself).
    Last edited by Daimona; 02-13-2012 at 08:26 AM.
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

Daim, in light of what you just requested, you should have used 'has' (past tense) instead of 'have' (present tense) in your first sentence.

Now for my pet peeve - my laptop. I have no idea whose idea the magically relocating cursor was, but they must be put to death at the first opportunity. I have to rewrite approximately 60% of what I type due to my cursor suddenly disappearing from the end of the word I am writing and suddenly appearing halfway through a word two sentences to two paragraphs ago. Sometimes it likes to relocate (it just now skipped 2 paragraphs to the middle of 'using' which I just edited out. :P) to the 'send' button & wait for me to hit the enter key. An infuriating 'feature' on an otherwise fantastic laptop.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast