Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I call this the "proclivity to wallow in ignorance" - a uniquely American trait, it seems.

Oh, if only!

The stories I could tell you about things I was told about the US when I lived in Canada... and they would look at me like I was the one who was ignorant because I didn't already know whatever it was! Because after all I was from the US so I should know exactly what they were talking about!

Shall I tell you a few "Newfie" jokes? A Newfoundlander told me them all.

Trust me, no one country has a corner on that market.

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    Has anyone noticed their spelling has taken a bit of a nose dive since they started using the internet ?
    But if your spelling has taken a turn for the worst, how's your hand writing these days ?
    I'm from the US but the internet has helped my spelling improve (and my handwriting is fine too). The reason is that anytime I'm unsure how to spell something, or wonder if I'm using a word correctly, I have this handy online dictionary I can look it up in a matter of only seconds.

Is there an online dictionary for the Queens English as well?

Post Thanks / Like

Mithra,

I find that those who speak English as a secondary language are more careful. As I've said before, it takes a native speaker to really murder the language. You're doing just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

TNX ,

You al make me feel so welcome.
    I might not be the best writer in English.
    But I do know a thing or 2 about loving Belly dance so I'l be back

M.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    But if your spelling has taken a turn for the worst, how's your hand writing these days ?
    Hand writing is a TOTAL waste of time. Its atrocious, its terrible, its unreadable. Its been that way since cursive was forced down our throats in 3rd grade - my printing is much better, but even that is terrible. I learned how to type in the 5th grade and haven't looked back since.

Post Thanks / Like

I do all my note taking and brain storming for art projects by hand. The flow of thoughts doesn't work with a computer for me. Besides I need to make tiny drawings and also take it with me anywhere, as I usually think best on a bus or train. Handwriting doesn't affect my wrists as I suspect an ipad would. I can handwrite very neatly when I have to.

Oh, I do the choreography drafts by hand as well. Anything creative needs to be by hand for me.

Post Thanks / Like

My speling has impproved thanks to inturnet as has my grammar. Them spellchick programs are amazzing.

My handwriting... let us call it "innovative" and "distinctive" and go on to happier subjects.
    "Well, now that we have seen each other," said the unicorn " if you'll believe in me, I'll believe in you."

Post Thanks / Like

Gisela,

That's really funny; I am totally the opposite. I type much faster than I can write, so if I am doing a creative "brain dump", I have to type it. My handwriting is, for the most part, somewhere between chicken scratch and a doctor's, so if I type it, I actually have a hope of reading what it said. If I try really hard, I have lovely handwriting, but then I have to work very slowly.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a write-by-hand for creative ideas person too. I even design my software with pen and paper - then type it up once I have the main concepts in place. It is partly because I write faster but also I like to use space on the page and add diagrams etc (especially for choreography)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nightdancer View Post
    Gisela,

That's really funny; I am totally the opposite. I type much faster than I can write, so if I am doing a creative "brain dump", I have to type it. My handwriting is, for the most part, somewhere between chicken scratch and a doctor's, so if I type it, I actually have a hope of reading what it said. If I try really hard, I have lovely handwriting, but then I have to work very slowly.
    Ditto me. Hand writing, either cursive or block printing is S-L-O-W... But I can type like the wind - something I've observed many, many computer users cannot.

But my handwriting is terrible, regardless of how slow I go. Printing is OK if I go really slow - and ditto for my Greek. Greek doesn't really have cursive (and Greeks of my acquaintance don't understand the reason for it, nor do I...), so I'm printing anyway and going slow, so it comes out pretty good.

I always got Ds and Fs in handwriting in school. My parents made me practice at home - it really didn't get any better. Always too large, never properly sloped, and very messy! Its done nothing but get worse as I've gotten older...

Thank Goddess for computers and even typewriters!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thought: I was in my doctor's office a few years back, and they wanted me to do an update on my address and insurance information. They handed me a blank form to fill out. I told them "Give me a printout of what you have now, and I'll redline any changes - I'm *NOT* going to crib all this out by hand!".

They didn't like that - I also told them they could just sit me in front of their computer for a moment...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234