Piston hips...

Jane

Think of your hips as a steering wheel. Hips steer up and in and down and in, not straight up and down. Keep your muscles between your pubic bone and belly button engaged. Experiment with the right muscle tension to make the movement look crisp. Think more about placing the hips in space than pushing them there.

IsisAQ

Thanks for the visual Jane. I was thinking up and down but I will practice with a steering wheel in mind. Also I hear that word "engaged" a lot. Does that mean to keep it tense? I'm trying to be loose and tight at the same time :confused:o

Kashmir

Also I hear that word "engaged" a lot. Does that mean to keep it tense? I'm trying to be loose and tight at the same time :confused:o
Never tense. If you are engaging your "abs" it means your postural abs - the deepest layer (TAs). When these are engages they do tighten - very slightly - like putting a little tension on strtechy fabric. And the ah-ha is that if you have engaged the right muscles the belly at the side pulls in very slightly.

If you pull in your belly it is mostly rectis (6-pack) which does not help in general and you lose flexibility.

Shanazel

Having grown up in Texas and lived thirty five years in Wyoming I must say I LOVE that clip. A couple years ago I did a "belly dance" dressed in a rodeo queen outfit complete with boots, tiaraed hat and sash. Used my saddle blanket as a veil and had so much fun. Now I know how to bring the house down in Wyoming. :lol: