Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you recommend a good Turkish Belly Dancing DVD for learning?

What is a good instructional Turkish Dancing DVD?

Post Thanks / Like

You will find some instructional DVDs for Turkish dance in this thread: http://bellydanceforums.net/instruct...tml#post175935
    --
    Daim.

Post Thanks / Like

It depends a bit on where you are in your dance path.

Artemis Mourat's DVD is excellent for getting a really solid basis that allows the student to delve into the topic further - I study with Artemis, she works hard on making sure her students "get it" and have a strong foundation to build upon, and the DVD is a fabulous resource, I highly recommend it. Here is her website: Artemis home page For the student who has already spent considerable time working on Turkish, the DVD will likely feel a bit slow moving. It does not teach a choreography or fancy combinations, a student who is looking for that may not find what she is looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by steffib View Post
    Absolutely. All of the Turkish instruction DVDs I know of are not for beginners but Intermediate-Advanced. Before picking them up you really need to learn the basics of Oriental (as in not ATS/ITS Tribal/Fusion) and there are many of those. It also wouldn't hurt to pick up the zills fairly early as well (Artemis has a great CD set for that also).

If you already have the basics down than there are 4 good DVDs I know of. The Turkish Style Belly Dance by Artemis that steffib already mentioned, Totally Turkish by Ruby Bey (Cheeky Girls Productions), and for Turkish Roman there is Raw Roman: Turkish 'Gypsy' Dance with Reyhan Tuzsuz and Delpha Reihs and Turkish Roman Dance with Elizabeth Strong.

Post Thanks / Like

There is also Sarah Skinner's "I Love Turkish" DVD and it may be useful to talk about it to clarify its content: Sarah is a lovely dancer from New York City and has studied with some of the legendary teachers there. Her DVD features two fun and creative choreographies to Turkish 9/8s. Both are excellent examples of skirt use in Vintage Oriental/American Cabaret style. However, I feel the title is badly chosen, the DVD will be very disappointing when one is looking for authentic Turkish instruction, because that is not exactly what is taught on the DVD. I wish the producers had chosen a more accurate title.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Artemis Mourat's DVD is excellent for getting a really solid basis that allows the student to delve into the topic further - I study with Artemis, she works hard on making sure her students "get it" and have a strong foundation to build upon, and the DVD is a fabulous resource, I highly recommend it. Here is her website: Artemis home page For the student who has already spent considerable time working on Turkish, the DVD will likely feel a bit slow moving. It does not teach a choreography or fancy combinations, a student who is looking for that may not find what she is looking for.
    Wow! This sounds perfect!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    Absolutely. All of the Turkish instruction DVDs I know of are not for beginners but Intermediate-Advanced. Before picking them up you really need to learn the basics of Oriental (as in not ATS/ITS Tribal/Fusion) and there are many of those. It also wouldn't hurt to pick up the zills fairly early as well (Artemis has a great CD set for that also).

If you already have the basics down than there are 4 good DVDs I know of. The Turkish Style Belly Dance by Artemis that steffib already mentioned, Totally Turkish by Ruby Bey (Cheeky Girls Productions), and for Turkish Roman there is Raw Roman: Turkish 'Gypsy' Dance with Reyhan Tuzsuz and Delpha Reihs and Turkish Roman Dance with Elizabeth Strong.

Thank you so much! Those also sound perfect!!
    So helpful!!!

There is also Sarah Skinner's "I Love Turkish" DVD and it may be useful to talk about it to clarify its content: Sarah is a lovely dancer from New York City and has studied with some of the legendary teachers there. Her DVD features two fun and creative choreographies to Turkish 9/8s. Both are excellent examples of skirt use in Vintage Oriental/American Cabaret style. However, I feel the title is badly chosen, the DVD will be very disappointing when one is looking for authentic Turkish instruction, because that is not exactly what is taught on the DVD. I wish the producers had chosen a more accurate title.
    Oh thank you I saw that one online and was thinking of purchasing it but thanks for the heads up that it isn't authentic.
    Last edited by Shanazel; 02-15-2012 at 04:41 AM. Reason: merge