Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Safran View Post
    Team Drillsx3 reporting!

I only started yesterday evening, and I can feel a few slightly sore muscles now. Somehow it is a great motivation to take the DVD out today again.

By the way, I re-organised my DVD shelf and re-discovered so many DVDs that I want to work with... right now!
    Are you doing the whole thing? Tonight I pulled out the disc and started by watching the hip layering section. I got exhausted just watching it, and turned it off!

Does that thing have a warm-up on it? What's your "plan of attack"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by da Sage View Post
    Tonight I pulled out the disc and started by watching the hip layering section. I got exhausted just watching it, and turned it off!
    I'm glad I'm not the only person who feels this way.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been putting this off, but I'm posting here just so I'll be subscribed to the thread, and for accountability reasons.
    Lol, I'm doing the same thing (I also wrote a post on my blog about keeping things secret affecting accountability!)

I want to get in on this but not sure if the videos/which ones I have available at the moment are appropriate (most of my collection is in transit, we just moved internationally). The ones I'm thinking of using are Beautiful Technique from Step One with Autumn Ward, or Serpentine with Rachel Brice. I also really like the Heartbeat of Bellydance but not sure how best to use it.

The Drillsx3 video sounds good, that might be next on my list. Also, I'm pregnant (yay!) and have been looking forward to getting Sera Solstice's Goddess Dance dvd (atisheh wrote a nice review of it here).

We have been moving and are still in transition phase and I REALLY miss my old bd classes and teacher! I need to get motivated to start working on my own again until I can find a teacher here.

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in as another lurker-for-inspiration! I'm about to pop any day now, so I physically can't perform the moves from Drills * 3, but I have been working with Maha al Musa's Dance of the Womb. It's a massive amount of material -- I want to do it justice, which means using it all at some point, but it's also felt deliciously good to use. And pretty inspiring in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RahimaMJR View Post
    Lol, I'm doing the same thing (I also wrote a post on my blog about keeping things secret affecting accountability!)

I want to get in on this but not sure if the videos/which ones I have available at the moment are appropriate (most of my collection is in transit, we just moved internationally). The ones I'm thinking of using are Beautiful Technique from Step One with Autumn Ward, or Serpentine with Rachel Brice. I also really like the Heartbeat of Bellydance but not sure how best to use it.

The Drillsx3 video sounds good, that might be next on my list. Also, I'm pregnant (yay!) and have been looking forward to getting Sera Solstice's Goddess Dance dvd (atisheh wrote a nice review of it here).
    RahimaMJR, I'm glad to know the review was useful. I'll try to do a summary of the prenatal bellydance DVDs I've worked with soon enough... if I have the time!

I'm also wondering about how to use Heartbeat. I've turned to it a few times just to cover the rhythms, and have watched the instruction that goes along with them (but not danced along). For me, covering a beat once or twice is not really enough to be able to hear it too -- that's why I'm doing Baby Doumbek. But maybe fitting the moves to it would help? My hunch would be that the best thing to do with Heartbeat (or a video like it) would be to work on *one* rhythm at a time, try to really get it down, be able to tap it, clap it, and so on, do the combos, and then try to find a music track with that rhythm and improv your own combos. It just seems like too much material to take all at once.

Would love to read that blog post too, but you didn't link straight to it. Why not send it to me PM?

Post Thanks / Like

I admit, between minor ankle discomfort and selling my soul to various projects, I've been slacking. I've been trying to get back to drilling through Suhaila's Belly Dance for Body dvd, but I may soon switch to Serpentine since Cocktail was abandoned.

The mini-workshop I mentioned earlier in the thread went well, but only because it was a lot of stationary drilling. My new goal is to drill with Serpentine so my moves will be crisp for the Shimmy Mob choreography.

Post Thanks / Like

Default drills and dvd fun!

Ok, I'm puttng my wuss hat in the bin and coming in to play!
    I'm thinking of using serpentine for daily drilling, dividing it ito something like Monday =hips, tues=torso, wed=shimmy drill etc
    I also just got the Tribal Fusion Workout which I'm going to play with later and see if any of that is useful. Plus a'day off' day with a light dvd like Luscious.
    And a couple of rest days- important to not strain my rubbish knee and to recover tired muscles.
    So my week plan will prob be Mon/tue/thurs/fri Serpentine Drills and some combo's from TFW, plus my existing choreos (aiming for an hours practise). Sat= Luscious or something like it. Wed and Sunday off :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default report-day1

So having decided this morning to get on it, i did!
    TFW-did the yoga (wow, for a short section it's quite hefty-liked it!), then drilled arms and hips and some of the combos. Liking the combos, as they are a new challenge and a good way to make drills feel like dancing, but prefer Rachel Brice's drills for plain ol' drills.
    Did the chest combo section which was lotsa lift lift drop drop malarkey with some belly pops and nice arm layers.

Arms and shoulders feelin it now!

Post Thanks / Like

What I work on depends on the day and my mood but last night I pulled out the improvisation toolkit volume one and I decided that is one I need to work with more regularity. I had forgotten how good it is. So that one will be a regular.

Post Thanks / Like

Inspired too... it took a few sessions of working with it, but I'm finally through with Maha al Musa's Dance of the Womb. (Review here.) I loved it, but it was also tricky because of there being so much material on it... I just didn't know where to begin!

Post Thanks / Like

Are you doing the whole thing? Tonight I pulled out the disc and started by watching the hip layering section. I got exhausted just watching it, and turned it off!

Does that thing have a warm-up on it? What's your "plan of attack"?
    There is no warm-up. Whenever I start my home practice, I just put on a 5-10 minute song and pop along to it - some bigger stretches, some dance movements, just to get myself going.

I have no managed to get to the end of the DVD yet, but I will one day (or will die trying !!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast