Let's Work With a DVD!

Ariadne

Still concentrating on breathing. I didn't even know it was possible to catch two different colds at the same time. :confused:

da Sage

Still concentrating on breathing. I didn't even know it was possible to catch two different colds at the same time. :confused:

Ick! Time for hot baths/showers, lots of rest, and as much medicine as you need to take. Don't forget to eat and consume caffeine at your "normal" levels...sometimes I wonder why I'm feeling so much more cruddy than I expected to after X sick days, and I realize that some of it is that I'm not fueling my body the way that I do when I'm well.:naghty:

We'll be here when you come back!

da Sage

I'm finding that posting here after I practice really helps keep me motivated to "get my dance in", but I also feel like I'm monopolizing a dead thread.

I don't have very much new to say about Tanna's DVD. I am wondering whether using ANY kind of aerobic dance is the best way for me to get my technique back; it seems to me that slow drills might be better for my personal learning style.:confused:

Perhaps tomorrow I'll see if I can find my Rachel Brice DVD (the OLD one), that has always worked well for me. Or I might crack open Drills x3 and have a go at that.

atisheh

I'm finding that posting here after I practice really helps keep me motivated to "get my dance in", but I also feel like I'm monopolizing a dead thread.

I don't have very much new to say about Tanna's DVD. I am wondering whether using ANY kind of aerobic dance is the best way for me to get my technique back; it seems to me that slow drills might be better for my personal learning style.:confused:

I've actually been checking the thread, just not posting -- doing more prenatal than bellydance stuff, so I figured it wouldn't be of as much interest! But if it motivates you, whatever, why not post? My whole blog exists to motivate myself, even though I secretly hope that someone will read it and comment!

My own fun lately -- as in, last night -- was working with Rosa Noreen's "Delicious Pauses." This makes me think that if you're not inspired by a quick workout, you might be by a total change of pace -- something totally slow, either with pauses, or something like Sarah Skinner's Opulent Motion. I found I had to work *so* hard to do undulations or horizontal 8's really, really slowly. My form would totally disappear. So it strikes me that that could be a useful counterpoint to regular practice.

Safran

Team Drillsx3 reporting! :)

I only started yesterday evening, and I can feel a few slightly sore muscles now. Somehow it is a great motivation to take the DVD out today again.

By the way, I re-organised my DVD shelf and re-discovered so many DVDs that I want to work with... right now! :D

atisheh

By the way, I re-organised my DVD shelf and re-discovered so many DVDs that I want to work with... right now! :D

Ha! I love doing that too... when I add in my yoga, pilates, and other dance DVDs, it's a huge collection, and I really lose track of what's there, especially since I have the DVDs stuffed into three cubes of an Ikea Expedit bookcase (so I can't see them at a glance). Sometimes I just have to sit on the floor and pull everything out to see what I have to work with!

How did you organize your DVDs?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

I only started yesterday evening, and I can feel a few slightly sore muscles now. Somehow it is a great motivation to take the DVD out today again.

ISN'T IT!!! I love that. I love her standing glute drills too. That works sooo much better for me than sitting on the floor. I do them waiting in line.

There is a lot more to this dvd than I originally thought. I can get a lot more use out of it, but I'm finding myself agreeing with you when you said:

Seriously! I still have some I haven't even WATCHED, let alone worked with (mostly cause of baby, but some cause of laziness.) I'm excited to dust off Raw Roman and Ranya's Taqsim dvd, which I worked with for a short while before getting side-tracked.

da Sage

Are you doing the whole thing? Tonight I pulled out the disc and started by watching the hip layering section. I got exhausted just watching it, and turned it off!

Does that thing have a warm-up on it? What's your "plan of attack"?

da Sage

Are you doing the whole thing? Tonight I pulled out the disc and started by watching the hip layering section. I got exhausted just watching it, and turned it off!

RahimaMJR

I've been putting this off, but I'm posting here just so I'll be subscribed to the thread, and for accountability reasons.:)

Lol, I'm doing the same thing (I also wrote a post on my blog about keeping things secret affecting accountability!)

I want to get in on this but not sure if the videos/which ones I have available at the moment are appropriate (most of my collection is in transit, we just moved internationally). The ones I'm thinking of using are Beautiful Technique from Step One with Autumn Ward, or Serpentine with Rachel Brice. I also really like the Heartbeat of Bellydance but not sure how best to use it.

The Drillsx3 video sounds good, that might be next on my list. Also, I'm pregnant (yay!) and have been looking forward to getting Sera Solstice's Goddess Dance dvd (atisheh wrote a nice review of it here).

We have been moving and are still in transition phase and I REALLY miss my old bd classes and teacher! I need to get motivated to start working on my own again until I can find a teacher here.

atisheh

Count me in as another lurker-for-inspiration! I'm about to pop any day now, so I physically can't perform the moves from Drills * 3, but I have been working with Maha al Musa's Dance of the Womb. It's a massive amount of material -- I want to do it justice, which means using it all at some point, but it's also felt deliciously good to use. And pretty inspiring in itself.

Lol, I'm doing the same thing (I also wrote a post on my blog about keeping things secret affecting accountability!)

I want to get in on this but not sure if the videos/which ones I have available at the moment are appropriate (most of my collection is in transit, we just moved internationally). The ones I'm thinking of using are Beautiful Technique from Step One with Autumn Ward, or Serpentine with Rachel Brice. I also really like the Heartbeat of Bellydance but not sure how best to use it.

The Drillsx3 video sounds good, that might be next on my list. Also, I'm pregnant (yay!) and have been looking forward to getting Sera Solstice's Goddess Dance dvd (atisheh wrote a nice review of it here).

RahimaMJR, I'm glad to know the review was useful. I'll try to do a summary of the prenatal bellydance DVDs I've worked with soon enough... if I have the time!

I'm also wondering about how to use Heartbeat. I've turned to it a few times just to cover the rhythms, and have watched the instruction that goes along with them (but not danced along). For me, covering a beat once or twice is not really enough to be able to hear it too -- that's why I'm doing Baby Doumbek. But maybe fitting the moves to it would help? My hunch would be that the best thing to do with Heartbeat (or a video like it) would be to work on *one* rhythm at a time, try to really get it down, be able to tap it, clap it, and so on, do the combos, and then try to find a music track with that rhythm and improv your own combos. It just seems like too much material to take all at once.

Would love to read that blog post too, but you didn't link straight to it. Why not send it to me PM?

lexiconlush

I admit, between minor ankle discomfort and selling my soul to various projects, I've been slacking. I've been trying to get back to drilling through Suhaila's Belly Dance for Body dvd, but I may soon switch to Serpentine since Cocktail was abandoned.

The mini-workshop I mentioned earlier in the thread went well, but only because it was a lot of stationary drilling. My new goal is to drill with Serpentine so my moves will be crisp for the Shimmy Mob choreography.

Birdlight

drills and dvd fun!

Ok, I'm puttng my wuss hat in the bin and coming in to play!
I'm thinking of using serpentine for daily drilling, dividing it ito something like Monday =hips, tues=torso, wed=shimmy drill etc
I also just got the Tribal Fusion Workout which I'm going to play with later and see if any of that is useful. Plus a'day off' day with a light dvd like Luscious.
And a couple of rest days- important to not strain my rubbish knee and to recover tired muscles.
So my week plan will prob be Mon/tue/thurs/fri Serpentine Drills and some combo's from TFW, plus my existing choreos (aiming for an hours practise). Sat= Luscious or something like it. Wed and Sunday off :)

Birdlight

report-day1

So having decided this morning to get on it, i did!
TFW-did the yoga (wow, for a short section it's quite hefty-liked it!), then drilled arms and hips and some of the combos. Liking the combos, as they are a new challenge and a good way to make drills feel like dancing, but prefer Rachel Brice's drills for plain ol' drills.
Did the chest combo section which was lotsa lift lift drop drop malarkey with some belly pops and nice arm layers.

Arms and shoulders feelin it now!

teela

What I work on depends on the day and my mood but last night I pulled out the improvisation toolkit volume one and I decided that is one I need to work with more regularity. I had forgotten how good it is. So that one will be a regular.

atisheh

Inspired too... it took a few sessions of working with it, but I'm finally through with Maha al Musa's Dance of the Womb. (Review here.) I loved it, but it was also tricky because of there being so much material on it... I just didn't know where to begin!

Safran

There is no warm-up. Whenever I start my home practice, I just put on a 5-10 minute song and pop along to it - some bigger stretches, some dance movements, just to get myself going.

I have no managed to get to the end of the DVD yet, but I will one day (or will die trying :)!!!