Excited to Start my 1st Class

jjj

I am so excited I needed to gloat :D

Thanks to Greekgoddess I found a studio. The teacher is Soraya and she is a little farther than what I wanted but I'm willing to drive. I think her class is ahead already but she said she can put me aside and take it slow if I need to. She teaches Egyptian and seems very nice.

I'll start my first class next Wed. Wish me luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mosaic

Super Moderator
That's great! So glad you have found a class. It's great that the teacher is happy to guide you along as well. You'll love it I'm sure:D
~Mosaic

jjj

Congrats on your first class, jjj! Good luck!

By the way, where are you located?

Down here in Houston, TX. Their are plenty of classes but I'm in the outskirts of the city. Their are many teachers in the Heights (really nice area) but it will take me 45 min to an hr to get their :(

Shanazel

You might be amused by one of my memories of Houston. My dad was stationed in Galvezton in 1964-66. He took us shopping in Houston once and told me, "There are a quarter of a million people living in in this area." I was amazed to think of so many people in one town. And now, what? A metropolitan area of about 6 million?

Wow.:shok:

Yshka

Awesome to have found a class, good luck and have fun, jjj!
Please do post back and tell us how you liked it :D

Yame

Gotcha. Well, good luck!

Most people don't have access to belly dance classes very close either. I have to travel 40 min to get to the nearest teacher (well, there are some teachers closer to me but I'm way beyond what they teach), and I consider myself lucky to have such a good teacher this close to me. If not for her I'd have to travel over an hour for the nearest good teacher. I also go to NYC, which is close to 2 hours away from me, to take occasional classes there as well.

So I think anyone who doesn't have to travel an hour for a class is very lucky!

Shanazel

Recently I traveled almost three hours in each direction to teach a class; I'm the closest teacher they could find.

bessyochoa

I am so excited I needed to gloat :D

Thanks to Greekgoddess I found a studio. The teacher is Soraya and she is a little farther than what I wanted but I'm willing to drive. I think her class is ahead already but she said she can put me aside and take it slow if I need to. She teaches Egyptian and seems very nice.

I'll start my first class next Wed. Wish me luck :)
good luck :) woot woot~!!!

jjj

You might be amused by one of my memories of Houston. My dad was stationed in Galvezton in 1964-66. He took us shopping in Houston once and told me, "There are a quarter of a million people living in in this area." I was amazed to think of so many people in one town. And now, what? A metropolitan area of about 6 million?

Wow.:shok:

Lol, Houston is still growing :D

Houston is consider the largest city in the US in area (not population).

Recently I traveled almost three hours in each direction to teach a class; I'm the closest teacher they could find.

Wow, I don't think I would travel three hours for a class. I give you prompt for that. :clap:

Gotcha. Well, good luck!

Most people don't have access to belly dance classes very close either. I have to travel 40 min to get to the nearest teacher (well, there are some teachers closer to me but I'm way beyond what they teach), and I consider myself lucky to have such a good teacher this close to me. If not for her I'd have to travel over an hour for the nearest good teacher. I also go to NYC, which is close to 2 hours away from me, to take occasional classes there as well.

So I think anyone who doesn't have to travel an hour for a class is very lucky!

If I get into it really good then I probably will be willing to travel. But I go to school, work and have boys that keep me busy so time is very important.

But your right, their are places that don't have belly dances classes any where near them :shok:

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanazel

In those three hours I pass through only three tiny towns, two of them a half mile apart with a couple hundred people each and the other having maybe a thousand or so folks. The rest of the trip is wide open country, antelope, buffalo, and deer. Even with the population growth of the last decade I think people in Wyoming are still outnumbered by the sheep. ;)

jjj

I just came from my first bellydance class and I truly enjoyed it. I was told I was a fast learner but to be honest I was all stiff and most likely not looking to good but when they turn I turn :lol:

I have to say it was a work-out because I did cramp a bit on the warm ups. Now I have to practice the choreography to catch up with the ladies.

Yshka

Bravo!! Consider it a great start and a beginning of the most awesome journey you could imagine.:cool: If you're a fast learner as the teacher says and you take the time to practise by yourself, you should be on track sooner than you think. Did you also like the teacher and class atmosphere?

Have fun and here's to many more!!:dance:

jjj

Bravo!! Consider it a great start and a beginning of the most awesome journey you could imagine.:cool: If you're a fast learner as the teacher says and you take the time to practise by yourself, you should be on track sooner than you think. Did you also like the teacher and class atmosphere?

Have fun and here's to many more!!:dance:

The students and the teacher were nice. I do plan on practicing myself but I don't remember the choreography :(

The only thing that came to my attention was that she wasn't really correcting my mistakes :think: And I'm positive I was making them.

I'm planning on attending a different day at the same location to get a feel for the other teacher. Then I can decide which one I feel more adaptable too.

Aniseteph

Glad you found a nice class!

On the correcting thing - good teachers correct when they see you really aren't getting it or are going off-track. When we are challenged but heading in the right direction IMO it's better to just let us get on with it and give encouragement.

I remember as a new beginner having major issues with horizontal hip circles, because they flipped up at the sides. I knew it wasn't right, but correction wouldn't have helped, it would have added to the frustration. What I needed (and got :D) was encouragement, an example to follow, practice and time. Our bodies need that time to work out how to do things, and to develop strength and control of muscles that we maybe never used in quite the same way before.

8 odd years later I'm still reminding myself every week that it's OK that I don't get this move or that bit of the choreography, because it'll be better next week and a few weeks down the line it'll probably be fine. Things take time, it's normal. ;)

jjj

Glad you found a nice class!

On the correcting thing - good teachers correct when they see you really aren't getting it or are going off-track. When we are challenged but heading in the right direction IMO it's better to just let us get on with it and give encouragement.

I remember as a new beginner having major issues with horizontal hip circles, because they flipped up at the sides. I knew it wasn't right, but correction wouldn't have helped, it would have added to the frustration. What I needed (and got :D) was encouragement, an example to follow, practice and time. Our bodies need that time to work out how to do things, and to develop strength and control of muscles that we maybe never used in quite the same way before.

8 odd years later I'm still reminding myself every week that it's OK that I don't get this move or that bit of the choreography, because it'll be better next week and a few weeks down the line it'll probably be fine. Things take time, it's normal. ;)

Lol, she probably didn't want to scare me away. Thank yous so much for your input. Working with doctors I'm used to being corrected on the spot and I don't mind as long as I get it right.