Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    I don't mind practicing, what I mind is that it doesn't seem to get any easier.
    I think you're too hard on yourself. You actually can isolate your upper abs from your lower abs. You just need to make that isolation stronger and to develop the control to do it more easily, when you want it, how you want it.

I still haven't seen Zoe's DVD so I don't know how she does or explains the exercise, but I'd recommend placing one hand on your upper ab, one hand on the lower ab, and feeling what you are doing.

Because in the beginning, you can't necessarily see or feel in your body whether or not you are using the right muscles, but if you use your hands you are better able to feel what your belly is doing and whether or not your upper abs and lower abs are moving independently of one another.

Don't get worried or stuck on the fact that when you engage the upper abs you are also engaging the lower abs and vice versa. Just keep working towards that goal of isolating them, and slowly you will find that you will be able to engage one "piece" without fully engaging the other. And slowly again you will be able to engage one "piece" without the other at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sirčne View Post
    I don't mind practicing, what I mind is that it doesn't seem to get any easier.
    Plateau-skills are the WORST.

Post Thanks / Like

One hint that helped me a lot was to actually bend over with the hands on my knees, so that the belly hangs down. It looks terrible of course ...but for some reason, that is the position in which I "feel" the muscles most.

On the other hand, I still find it totally impossible to bellyroll while lying down - I think that's the most difficult position, so I'm not sure you'd want to start that way. But maybe you're different

And of course it helps to strengthen your abs! There are great exercises to strengthen upper and lower abs separately - so that helps isolating them too.

Post Thanks / Like

another thing that helps is that if you've lost muscle conrol of your abs, when you practise the isolations, poke your belly with your finger it can help bring back muscle awareness and control. sounds weird but it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12