Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beginning Doumbek

I've started to work with Carmine Guida's Baby Beginner Doumbek Workshop, and have a post on my blog about it:

atisheh: dance and fitness views and reviews: Working with Carmine Guida's Baby Beginner Doumbek Workshop

This isn't a review per se, more like a first, but quite detailed, attempt to describe working with it. Enjoy! I'd love to hear your comments, or if any of you have worked with this or other doumbek instructionals.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Good luck with your drumming

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jane View Post
    Cool! Good luck with your drumming
    Thanks! I started to go at it this morning too, then I realised it was seven in the morning and my husband was still sleeping. Doumbek wake up call!

Post Thanks / Like

In which I continue futzing about with Baby Beginner Doumbek Workshop:

atisheh: dance and fitness views and reviews: Doumbek follies continue: it's time to take off the wedding ring

Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! I've started drumming recently with Karim Nagi's Rhythms of the Arab World part 1 DVD and am loving it so far. It is harder than I thought though, but I can keep up with the drumming excercises now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Cool! I've started drumming recently with Karim Nagi's Rhythms of the Arab World part 1 DVD and am loving it so far. It is harder than I thought though, but I can keep up with the drumming excercises now!
    How does he structure the instruction? Are there good drills?

Post Thanks / Like

Default hi atisheh

I know you already have a DVD, but the website Home has a great list of most instructionals. I haven't worked with a dvd & I don't have a teacher, I began by using youtube to get a basic idea and just played the (basic) rhythms along to my music. Since I've attended a drumming w/shop which helped so much, I just wish I could get to a live teacher regularly!
    I am considering buying a dvd, I quite like the look of Karim Nagis that Yshka mentions, tbh I don't think you could go wrong with that!
    Do you have a CD of Arabic rhythms that you can play along with?
    Good luck with your drumming Atisheh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seona View Post
    I know you already have a DVD, but the website Home has a great list of most instructionals. I haven't worked with a dvd & I don't have a teacher, I began by using youtube to get a basic idea and just played the (basic) rhythms along to my music. Since I've attended a drumming w/shop which helped so much, I just wish I could get to a live teacher regularly!
    I am considering buying a dvd, I quite like the look of Karim Nagis that Yshka mentions, tbh I don't think you could go wrong with that!
    Do you have a CD of Arabic rhythms that you can play along with?
    Good luck with your drumming Atisheh!
    Seona, that is an amazing resource -- I didn't know about that website, but it really is very comprehensive!

Thanks for reminding me that I actually do have a CD of arabic rhythms... I didn't think to play along with that. When I took the drumming class I used an online metronome, which was quite useful. For CDs of actual rhythms, do you just try to replicate what the drummer is doing?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a doumbek impersonating a table in the corner of my room, and with this thread comes the inspiration to once again try to learn it, so I have been looking about since it started and although not the right drums and not the right rhythms, I am going to join a local African drumming class next week and that for the simple reason to get used to two things; Rhythms and making a noise after which it is hoped I will have rid my inhibitions about making noise and then I will set to annoying my neighbours with doumbek training via video tuition, and I may even be inspired to teach myself my zills as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by khanjar View Post
    I have a doumbek impersonating a table in the corner of my room, and with this thread comes the inspiration to once again try to learn it, so I have been looking about since it started and although not the right drums and not the right rhythms, I am going to join a local African drumming class next week and that for the simple reason to get used to two things; Rhythms and making a noise after which it is hoped I will have rid my inhibitions about making noise and then I will set to annoying my neighbours with doumbek training via video tuition, and I may even be inspired to teach myself my zills as well.
    Love it! I have a bit of inhibition about making noise too, which I also have to get over!

By the way, you probably know this already, but just in case: you can muffle your doumbek by stuffing a small towel into it. It's a good way to practice.

And I'm delighted if my reviews and posts inspired you to take a real life class! Frankly, I worry about just annoying people with them, but figure there might be *somebody* interested out there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast