Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Making a noise is something I have always avoided, I tend not to like to draw attention, but here I am learning ME dance with the desire to perform in public, so I got to get over the drawing attention to myself thing at some point. But I have considered places to practice, up on the cliffs might be a good one,but no I had not considered muffling the drum, but I have the zills with socks, but it makes perfect sense so thanks for that.

But something I am trying to work out for the doumbek, is an electronic device that flashes light in response to the drum skin being struck, so light comes out of the drum bowl, something that I thought of whilst talking to the drummer, when he said about his drum picking up atmospheric electricity in the desert, the way the thing glowed when it was struck.

Post Thanks / Like

You mean having the light instead of any sound?

Post Thanks / Like

sound and light in response to sound, highlight the drummer and their skill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atisheh View Post
    Seona, that is an amazing resource -- I didn't know about that website, but it really is very comprehensive!

Thanks for reminding me that I actually do have a CD of arabic rhythms... I didn't think to play along with that. When I took the drumming class I used an online metronome, which was quite useful. For CDs of actual rhythms, do you just try to replicate what the drummer is doing?

This is also a great website (think there's a link from arabicdrum site) check out Khafif Music and Belly Dance and click rhythms.

When using my rhythm CD I started with just following the basic rhythm, not the variations, Now I feel happy with (some) of the basics so I now follow the variations (or is embellishment the correct term?) As I've more of an understanding now ( I hope lol) of the way it's structured. If you find it mind boggling just stick with the 'bare bones' of the rhythm you are playing untill you feel confident/have better understanding of the variations. And of course, just practice, practice & practice! It's also nice to play along with your fav belly dance CD's.
    I hope this makes sense to you, I am only a baby drummer myself! I would kill for a real teacher!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that makes sense -- basically it's like being in a drum circle, where one person does the embellishments and the others keep the beat. I'm still pretty slow though -- too slow for actual songs -- but the rhythms CD might work!

Post Thanks / Like

Is the percussive force on a djembe/doumbek enough to loosen the head if you stuff a towel in it?

I wish I had a djembe to practice on. I have a hand-sized doumbek but my hands are huge compared to this little thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duskshade View Post
    Is the percussive force on a djembe/doumbek enough to loosen the head if you stuff a towel in it?

I wish I had a djembe to practice on. I have a hand-sized doumbek but my hands are huge compared to this little thing.
    Well, I've never stuffed a towel so big that it really made a tight seal inside the doumbek. It just reduced the sound somewhat, but it was still loose inside the doumbke.

It is harder to practice on a small doumbek -- I had one I left behind me in Berlin -- but you can still do drills and practice basic patterns, no?

Post Thanks / Like

i do practice the basics on it... and I'm getting better. I just need to get my hands on a bigger djembe or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12