What to do with this dress?

Amulya

I still have this dress, but it is so long and massive, heavy and just a bad fit. I have been thinking of turning it into something else, but what? I'll never dance it it again, so it can't be a dance dress:

When I ordered it it was on basis of a dress my teacher had and that one had a nice curvy fit. It wasn't this long, this is for a giant. And so see through as well!

Last edited:

Amulya

I have been thinking of selling it. But how much is a dress like that worth these days? I wore it twice, so it's brand new. It's of that oldfashioned quality that doesn't shed.

PracticalDancer

Unless it is damaged, please don'tcut or repurpose it! It is a very nice folkloric dress that would suit a different-sized dancer well!

Shanazel

I don't find it old-fashioned at all and on a taller curvier woman it would be a knock-out.

If I was going to repurpose it I'd probably sew up the side seams and open it up the front for a coverup. Not sure how effective that would be if it is truly transparent, though.

Mosaic

Super Moderator
I'd sell it rather than cut it up. You might cut it up and still not like it then you can't do anything with it. Even if you sell if 1/2 what you paid you get something back and declutter the wardrobe:D Check out the bellydance store & ebay for prices on new folkloric and work a sell price out from the current going rate.
~Mosaic

walladah

In case you do not decide to sell it

or it is difficult because the times we live in are hard for all to find cash to buy nice stuff like this, you might consider turn it to something more... tribal than it is already:

cut it in 2 pieces (actually in 3, as the middle part will be in excess): you need the skirt part, to use it over harem pants or tribal pantaloons, and you need the upper part with the sleeves to create a nice undervest, i mean to create an accessory for a coined bra: sleeves/vest with sleeves with coins that will make the bra a bit more "covered" or decorated.

the middle part... i do not know... you might use it to create an extra skirt over the long one, or a belt (with dark fabrik underneath to show off the see-through covering) or just a headpiece...

That way, you will be able to handle this nice piece to your size without being afraid of the see-through feature, i think that with dark (black or brown) underneath is perfect!!!

Amulya

Problem with cutting would be the coin bits, that would start to fray I'm afraid. Since I don't dance folkloric style anymore, I think I'd better sell it to someone who can be happy with it :) Thanks for the advice!

Daimona

the middle part... i do not know... you might use it to create an extra skirt over the long one, or a belt (with dark fabrik underneath to show off the see-through covering) or just a headpiece...

The middle part is perfect for making matching sock covers.. :lol:

Amulya

Gia, you would be interested? I have to find it first! I am in the process of unpacking the boxes after I moved a year ago...