UK Dance Festivals

khanjar

Hahaha, I look at your link and maybe, but I also notice the traders present and one mentioned I do remember from the past and their attitude to two males, one dressed as a biker and the other as a workman when they perused the stall. Issuing forth from the vendor was this was for belly dancers not the general public, a laugh it was when a well known dancer greeted both of us and we watched the vendors face drop as with the attitude already voiced, we moved onto the next stall, where we did part with our cash, more expensive perhaps, but the need was there, a pity it could not be cheaper, but at the next stall, we weren't judged.

I do of course understand male dancers are new to some, but the attitude exhibited by some vendors is at worst insulting and at best business killing, especially at the venue where I was, the lead entertainment was a world class male dancer.

Now as one who may yet come to vend, I know one has to investigate the territory, and there understand what may come to view and tere understand not to insult what may come with past or personal prejudice.

I remember the vendor and I will avoid in future because of attitudes voiced, voiced being the diffinitive killer.

domi

hi again. I have one more question, to those who have been to shimmy in the city and have criticised it for being too crowded - what do you actually mean by 'crowded'? how many people approximately at a workshop? I'm asking cause I'm dying to participate in Dina's workshops, but I wonder if it's going to be worth it if they are really going to be that crowded... I'll be grateful for a reply :)

Duvet

I do of course understand male dancers are new to some, but the attitude exhibited by some vendors is at worst insulting and at best business killing, especially at the venue where I was, the lead entertainment was a world class male dancer.

An ill-judged comment, true. But maybe you were just the butt of an exasperated and tired vendor (or even vendor's mate), on a day with too many browsers and not enough buyers. Yet, as you've proved, whatever the reason for the comment, the consequences were damaging to business (or was it actually beneficial to someone else's? - you sure the vendors weren't working in tandem??:)).

Duvet

hi again. I have one more question, to those who have been to shimmy in the city and have criticised it for being too crowded - what do you actually mean by 'crowded'? how many people approximately at a workshop? I'm asking cause I'm dying to participate in Dina's workshops, but I wonder if it's going to be worth it if they are really going to be that crowded... I'll be grateful for a reply :)

It wasn't how many in the class, but rather the rooms not being big enough to comfortably accomodate the numbers, and sometimes the tutor not being easily visible due to the lack of a raised area. I would hope Shimmy has taken the feedback from last year on board, and some of the problem was due to last minute room changes.

Wherever you go for a workshop with Dina it is liable to be crowded. Popular dancers have popular classes, unless you're willing to pay for more private tuition. If a class with Dina is what you're dying to do, and you think you won't get another opportunity, then you'll might be sad you missed it. Why not contact Shimmy and ask if they've limited their class sizes, and to what number? That way you can judge if it feels crowded to you.

domi

thanks, Duvet! I've just sent them a message. I'll let you know here if they respond, in case someone else is also wondering whether to go :)

khanjar

Ah, I have been told there is this one coming up next month ;

torquayholiday

But again, so near in terms of distance, but so far in terms of no way can I afford that.

But others might be interested.

Duvet

Heike Humphries has her Kajira Djoumahna (Black Sheep Belly Dance) workshops Sat/Sun 1-2nd September, with her "Arabian Nights on the Solent" on the Saturday night. Should be a great weekend: