Ranya's Taqasim DVD?

RahimaMJR

Hello there,
Does anyone have the Ranya Renee Taqasim: Improvisation SKills and Drills DVD? I have her Baladi DVD and it is amazing. She is an eloquent and inspiring teacher and beautiful dancer. On this disc, I particularly like the "loops" of bits of music that play over and over, where she dances differently each time and you kind of follow along and I wonder if the Taqasim works something like that.

What did you think of the Taqasim dvd?

Amanda (was Aziyade)

Hi there!

I'm ashamed to say it's been some time since I worked with my copy, but I would FULLY recommend the Taqasim dvd as much as the Balady one.

Let me review my copy later and give you more info :)

teela

This DVD is totally worth the money. If I remember correctly, she takes the time to help you learn the sound of various instruments and which move is best for the instrument. This is on my list of must haves if you are serious about Egyptian dance.

Kashmir

I have only just started it but I'm impressed so far as we learn about the instruments, a little about makamat. I've just started getting into the movement bit but looks good so far.

Yshka

I agree with Aziyade, I have both and love the Taqasim one just as much as the Balady set. It is amazing, her insights, the input of the musicians and musical details and concepts Ranya approaches are wonderful. The DVD is a gem and definitely worth getting.

Ps. If you're interested in understanding Egyptian music further, I'd also advise buying George W. Sawa's Music Appreciation Guide for bellydancers. Ranya sells it through her webstore!

RahimaMJR

Great! Thanks to everyone who responded. Not that I needed much of a push, but now I am definitely going to get this one.

Amanda (was Aziyade)

The drills that you like on the balady dvd are also on this dvd -- just so you know. New ones (not the same ones) but very similar in style to the ones she did on balady. :)