cup size confusion!

seona

How can a costume fit a C cup or D cup? (at the sametime) :confused: There's some right now advertised on the forum and it say's will fit either C or D cup, I'm a D and I know for a fact I'd spill out of a C cup! I've seen a few cossies lately that seem to be advertised as 'one size fits all',,really? I didn't think that was possible regarding cup size or have I missed something? Or does the size of your ribcage play a part? I admit I don't really understand bra sizing too well! please enlighten!

Last edited:

Daimona

How can a costume fit a C cup or D cup? (at the sametime) :confused:

There's some right now advertised on the forum and it say's will fit either C or D cup, I'm a D and I know for a fact I'd spill out of a C cup! I've seen a few cossies lately that seem to be advertised as 'one size fits all',,really? I didn't think that was possible regarding cup size or have I missed something? Or does the size of your ribcage play a part? I admit I don't really understand bra sizing too well! please enlighten!

I usually say that one size fits nobody.

Because the old bra size measurement theory says your cupsize/letter depends on the ratio between the measurment below and around your breasts(1) and IIRC this means you can go down a size on the bra band if you increases the cup size.
Now if you have tried this, you would know that this old method is highly inaccurate.

Another factor would be that there a different system to name bras in different countries.

IMNSHO it would be better to announce the measurements of the bra so potential buyers can compare it with their own measurements/bras.

To read more about how to determine bra sizes, check out this article: Brassiere measurement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amulya

For ordering my Bella I used a picture of a bra and put all the measurements of the cups in that picture. It looks a bit messy, but hope it makes sense :)

(People who sell costumes often give two measurements of the insides of cups, if they don't, just ask, it helps a lot to understand what size the cups are)

mahsati_janan

How can a costume fit a C cup or D cup? (at the sametime) :confused: There's some right now advertised on the forum and it say's will fit either C or D cup, I'm a D and I know for a fact I'd spill out of a C cup! I've seen a few cossies lately that seem to be advertised as 'one size fits all',,really? I didn't think that was possible regarding cup size or have I missed something? Or does the size of your ribcage play a part? I admit I don't really understand bra sizing too well! please enlighten!

In the US, cup sizes are proportional to band sizes, so within a manufacturers bras, they will generally go down one cup size for each band size they go up: 34DD = 36D = 38C. For the most part this rule works pretty well, but there are always manufacturer's and designers who do their own thing.

Most Egyptian costume bra cups are sized by numbers instead and a size 3 is the same whether it is on a 34 band or a 44 band. In practice, this is also just a guideline since the bra cups are different shapes, so they fit everyone a little differently. When these numbered sizes are translated into US bra sizes, it doesn't always go smoothly.

For example, the standard Pharaonix cup measurements are
#2 (A)-h 6" v 5.5" d 7"
#3 (B) - h 6.5" v 6" d 7.5"
#4 (C) - h 7" v 6.5" d 8"
#5 (D) - h 7.5" v 7" d 8.5"
#6 (D) - h 8" v 7" d 9"
#7 (DD) - h 8.5" v 7.25" d 9.5"

Last edited:

Shanazel

It takes me trying on many many bras to find one that fits properly, even with the help of a fitter. I cannot imagine buying a one size fits several costume and discovering that the cups fit. It's not just the size of the cup that matters but the shape of the breast as well. Amulya's idea of providing cup dimensions of a well fitting bra is a good one.

AndreaSTL

I find cup size to be a bit subjective, so I don't use them on my web site. I use the measurement system that Amulya mentioned. There are a couple of reasons multiple cup sizes are listed for one costume.

1. A C cup woman can usually pad a D cup costume without it looking funny.

2. The shape of the cup and the dancer's comfort level with cleavage amounts help determine cup size. A bra might give a D cup dancer a lot of cleavage, but if a C cup dancer prefers more coverage the same bra might work.

3. Depending on how you're arranged, you might wear one size in a street bra but need to go up for a costume bra to make sure all the naughty bits are covered. Plus, some breasts are wider and some are deeper, so even if two women wear the same cup size that doesn't mean the same shape bra will work for both.

If you're buying online, I highly recommend you ask for cup dimensions rather than a letter or number. If you have a costume from a particular designer, say a Bella or Pharaonics, you can feel pretty safe about ordering the same size from them. They're pretty good about keeping things consistent. If the designer is not known or you aren't familiar with them, get the details. ;)

Amulya

I wanted to add that you got to be very careful to look at the shape of the bra beofre you buy a costume online. As mentioned above everybody got differnt breast shapes and there are bras that can be a shape that wouldn't work for some people. For example, a lot of Egyptian bras are deeper in the cup so the curve steeps back in very much, if you have very round breasts that top edge would cut into the top of your breast.

Hee are some pictures of costume bra's to see different shapes. Some are flatter, some rounder, some pointier:

Last edited:

seona

Thank's for all your replies! Don't have the time today to look at links etc, but thank you all!

Zaina

If I like a costume, I MAKE it fit :) I'm a C cup, and almost anything will works when I pad/unpad it right.