Egyptian BD music structure ?

Kashmir

Oh there is, but it requires a different train of thought.
Harmony in Western music usually is connected to interference of notes - chords etc - this isn't a part of traditional Arabic (or Turkish or Persian) music. Acculturation has lead to adaptation of some western concepts so there is some music that uses it - but it isn't characteristic.

Habiba

I'm wanting to learn more about Egyptian music and have found these two CDs:

EGYPTIAN MUSIC APPRECIATION AND PRACTICE FOR BELLYDANCERS - GEORGE DIMITRI SAWA

and

Hossam Ramsy's Rhythms of the Nile

My budget only extends to one at the moment so if you know both titles (or even just one of them), please let me know your thoughts.

Many thanks,

Habiba

PracticalDancer

Khanjar, the most basic pattern (that I can describe from my phone) is "the rule of four.". Now, all rules get broken at some point. But, in essence, a fair amount of Arabic music repeats the same phrase 4 times, and either the 3rd or 4th time will be slightly different, cueing a new pattern is coming.

Now, practice hearing this. This will get you attuned to certain musical structures. I need to research some videos to show rhythm / step pairings-- but before you can put those together, you need to nail the concept of when the rhythm may shift. That is the point when you need to be "collected," to have your weight centers so you can move easily to the next pattern.

Practice this by closely listening to the music you have. Use whatever method works for you (nothing wrong with counting on fingers at first) to get really comfy with knowing when the change will happen. Then, practice with movement, and try to be nice and centered in time for the change.

More later!