Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salome View Post
    Egypt's ban was 1952 until 1954 I believe. Allowed to resume with some guidelines, like no bare midriff, a certain style of shimmy was out and there was more... I can't remember.
    I remember a Swedish belly dancer working in Egypt in the 90's on PBS (Rough Guide I think but not sure). She wore a midriff cover and demonstrated how she could dance with her hand close to her hip, but if her hand ever touched her hip she would be arrested by Egyptian undercover cops in the audience.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a couple of teachers here (Qatar) though its taken me nearly a year to find them! I've put the info that I've found out onto the other thread. I haven't been to any of the classes as work's ruled them out.

I understand that Lydia has performed here but it was a private performance not for public attendance, maybe it was a wedding or large party etc etc.

PS Qatar is NOT part of the UAE!

Quote Originally Posted by Yshka View Post
    Nope, not Saudi Arabia to my knowledge, but you're pretty close! Bellydance was actually banned in Qatar (part of the United Arab Emirates). Bellydance shows have been banned, at least in hotels, by the tourism authorities since 2006 I think as Aziza_UAE on this forum once stated in a thread from a girl looking for classes. I remember there are still classes though, but public performance of bellydance is prohibited. How it came to be like that I do not know, but maybe Aziza_UAE can tell you, or our Lydia might know (Lydia Tzigane from Dubai).

Good luck on your speech!

Edited to add: check this out: gulfnews : Tourism body bans belly dancing in hotels in Qatar

Cairo had a ban shortly as well (I've read in different articles that this was 1834, was lifted again, and banned again from public display in 1950s, but I'm not sure enough to say). Foreign dancers were banned from dancing in Cairo around 2003 if I'm correct, but also there, I cannot say with 100 % certainty.

Post Thanks / Like

Oops, my mistake I edited my post and left some stuff in/out though it still seemed like normal sentences, hmm

Thanks for the info, Aziza, I was sure you'd probably know more that could be of help than I did. Didn't know Lydia performed in Qatar either. Anyhow, thank you for clearing it up!

I wonder how JJJ's speech has gone. Any news yet?
    Last edited by Yshka; 03-24-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jjj View Post
    Thank you so much, I almost thought I was going coo-coo and imaging reading things. And yes I do have a few days to research and find good sources.

It will be a brief speech with an audience that most likely doesn't know much about belly dance. My grade will be based on how much research I've done so I do want to cover most I can. I want to put examples on the controversy side of belly dancing so I won't be going much into detail on that but it still needs to be cover.

I by no means want to put belly dance down. I actually pick the subject because I know my audience will be intrigue and that might get me a better grade.
    I actually meant a couple of days to speak If you want to impress people with the depth of your research better to hand out a list of sources you have used and they can follow up with. Nothing worse than listening to someone speak and flittering over a lot of different ideas. One idea per minute is fine - you can then take time to explain it and provide depth. On a topic you are well acquianted with and hour would be fine per point. For something you are less well acquainted with you need much longer as you need to weed out what is irrelevant and also balance competing viewpoints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kashmir View Post
    I actually meant a couple of days to speak If you want to impress people with the depth of your research better to hand out a list of sources you have used and they can follow up with. Nothing worse than listening to someone speak and flittering over a lot of different ideas. One idea per minute is fine - you can then take time to explain it and provide depth. On a topic you are well acquianted with and hour would be fine per point. For something you are less well acquainted with you need much longer as you need to weed out what is irrelevant and also balance competing viewpoints.
    Lol, trust me I think my whole power point is full of sources.

Here's an example of one:

There still remains the feeling of Egypt at the heart of the dance. -
    In Search of the Origins of Dance -my source

What I quote will be in the power point, everything else I will paraphrase but sources will be there. This is for speech class so I know they will expect me to go into depth.

The question I ask earlier here was going on the additional facts slide so that will be brief.

I will let you guys know how it went.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12