Is name-dropping a good advert?

mahsati_janan

That's something altogether different, that's sharing information. I wish my first teacher would have done that, I thought for a long time she was the only teacher in Amsterdam and when I left I found out the city had at least 7 teachers (probably more, but there was no internet so we didn't know) It makes such a difference to be able to take classes form multiple teachers.

I consider it different, but was responding to the perception as these kinds of things are specifically mentioned in the original post as name-dropping.

tell me (unsolicited) during class the names of teachers or dancers they’ve met. “I learnt this step from x”, or “y had the same teacher as me”, or “when I met z - you do know who z is don’t you?” I don’t want to know who taught them what during class; I want to know what they can teach me during class.

I can easily see me saying all of these things in a single class, so I wanted to give an alternate reason why a teacher may say those things. I can see where it might sound like name-dropping to some folks, but it is really just another teaching tool for me. I'll give an example below of something I might actually say in a class -

"This is a Saiidi style rocking step. I first learned it from TeacherA who had a background in dance styles x,y,and z, so when she executed it, it changed from what we would consider the base move by being stylized in that way. TeacherB drives this move from her glutes. We had the same teacher originally, but her stylization has changed because she is very into a specific training method and has focused on a different muscular impetus. Finally, when I first met Mahmoud Reda (I've told you who he is before, right? Firqat Reda, one of the big folkloric troupes in Egypt?) he demonstrated the move like *this* and also said that these variations were common. Look up these dancers on youtube or on my youtube playlists to see if you can recognize the differences in style and execution."

Daimona

I just got home from a double 2h workshop with Meissoun where she namedropped various famous dancers for the different combinations we learnt and I must say the choreography became much more interesting than otherwise.

The second workshop was a short oriental choreography with signature moves and combinations from the given dancers sucha as an entrance like Nagwa Fouad (strong, big and dramatic), then a bit of Souhair Zaki (cute and playful), then a bit of Amani (strong and fast), more Souhair Zaki, a bit of Meissoun, a bit of Dina and a typical Reda-combination, etc. For those of the participants less educated on the big name dancers, I'm sure they got inspiration to dig deeper into the topic.

Duvet

Thanks everyone. I'm really glad to have had quite a few teacher's respond. From that perspective it's seen as a normal, if not an integral, part of the teaching process. Passing on such knowledge is valuable, adds to the interest, and places the dancing in a lineage. I can see why its done, and I'd probably do it myself. But occasionally, in certain circumstances and when badly done (but not in evidence from anyone who posted), I do feel it can look like showing off, or reveals an underlying lack of confidence. I'll accept that as just my perspective - maybe I'm just not used to it with most of my past teachers; perhaps its my out-modish UK thing of valueing the understated? Now I've discussed it here I can better weigh up how I feel should it happen again. Cheers. :)

Shanazel

Name dropping alert!!!

Salome is coming to Wyoming for a four hour workshop on June 30, 2012. That's Salome. You know Salome? Right in the Heart of No Where SALOME will be teaching arms and combos. That's S-A-L-O-M-E. :lol:

Shanazel

You'd like me to mention on July 1 that SALOME is coming to Casper on June 30?

I'll probably sleep late that day. :dance:

indrayu

To add my 2 cents' worth, as a student, I want to know that my teachers are well-educated. That means, having gone beyond their own weekly classes to find out more about their preferred style at least, if not dance in general, and learned from a variety of respected teachers. If they expect that at least some of their students want more than a weekly "wiggle and giggle" they will include that information, with an attitude of respect and some humility.

Name-droppers, on the other hand....I can fully understand why some might be mightily put off! No humility, no apparent awareness of their own role in the greater scheme of things, assuming that their students won't know the real differnce between "studied with X" and being able to claim bragging rights, plus travel expenses and workshop fees with X on their tax return (along with some very large number of others squeezed into the room that weekend!)

Good teaching involves many different skills. Being well-educated won't automatically make a good teacher, but even a promising student who takes some classes for their regular teacher will soon enough have to add to their knowledge to really make the most of their potential.

Amulya

It's interesting how people can keep track of who taught them which combo. I can remember from some teachers but not all. Certainly not all from 15 years ago and such. Wonder if some people list what they learned from who :think:

Darshiva

Memorable combos get a name-dropping mention. My memory is quite fallible, so it's not like every move gets mentioned. But the ones that stick in my mind get the label of 'X taught me this' so it comes out in class that way.

Amulya

The best way for me to remember it if there is a story with it. For example when a teacher tells about a travel to Turkey where she had a workshop from dancer such and such and there is a whole description. Shame that some of my teachers never mentioned who the people were they had the workshops with :(