Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question New Online Teaching Format, Opinions?

Suddenly there are these online workshops/classes popping up that are basically an online video you can purchase for a week or so and then it's gone.

What do you guys think? As a teacher? As a student?

As a teacher, would you rather do this than make a DVD instead? And why?

And students, wouldn't you prefer to have a DVD you can watch at home as often as you want and not worry it will be gone after a week?

Post Thanks / Like

As a teacher it seems like too much work for too little reward.

As a student, I would much rather either do skype (which approximates a live class in a lot of respects) or have the dvd. Live streaming has turned me off a few instructors I've been looking into online classes with because - for example - if I'm sick for a week, I'm out my money. There's much more to it than that but I'd rather just buy a dvd or organise a private lesson (physical or skype) than go with the live streaming model because I won't get my money's worth from it, no matter the cost. Even if it's free I'd still go to vimeo or youtube for lessons because at least I can recap them later on if I need to!
    Last edited by Darshiva; 04-04-2012 at 06:14 AM. Reason: edited for coherence.

Post Thanks / Like

I know I've stated in other threads that I much prefer purchasing the DVD rather than using online classes because my internet is rather unstable and can go down for days at a time. Even when its up, I have periods where it slows down to a crawl or fades in and out all night. I can only do things that use a fair bit of bandwidth between 10PM and 6 AM which are not the optimum times to view and use an on-line dance class. Furthermore, when I have the DVD, I can go back and review it as much as I desire.

Post Thanks / Like

I am totally not interested in online classes, live in person classes, or DVDs that you can return to whenever you wish. I suppose an online class is an alternative for anyone who is out of reach of a class, but other than that I honestly don't see the point.
    ~Mosaic
    Dance is like glitter, it not only colours your life, it makes you sparkle, you find it everywhere and in everything and it's near impossible to get rid of. (unknown)

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer DVDs.. it dosent sound so reliable as a chinese,does it?
    Last edited by Shiyii; 04-05-2012 at 06:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer DVDs too, you can use them for years on end Skype lessons don't seem to bad to me when you have a good connection and good web cam.

Post Thanks / Like

At least with the skype model you're still getting real-time technique correction, which is very important.

I find it very hard to learn only from video, so one week with a video I've paid for before it disappears is going to frustrate me no end. I do hope that if the model doesn't die a death that at least makers will still sell full-price dvds along side them because otherwise they've lost me as a customer. And those of you who have seen my ever-growing collection know just how much weight that comment has!

Post Thanks / Like

There was a streaming video I was tempted to get (because of the topic) but I'm busy and don't like that fact that after one week, it will be gone. DVD or forget it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been giving this some thought and I can see a possible use for renting the on-line lessons if there is also the DVD copy available. It could give a potential customer a chance to see if the material is something they want to add to their libraries. A way of previewing all the material first. I know that sometimes, youtube clips do not give the whole picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Who has the videos only available for one week?

Actually, can we list who is now doing online video instruction? I know we had a thread on it before, but there are a lot more players now.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast