Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Who has the videos only available for one week?

Actually, can we list who is now doing online video instruction? I know we had a thread on it before, but there are a lot more players now.
    I'm sure they're not the only place, but RaqsTv.com has 1-week rentals. Those I don't mind because they are about $7 each, and most are also available on DVD. I think it's a nice way to sample something without the commitment of full price.

However, just last week RaqsTv also released Zoe Jakes' Workshop "Train Like a Pro." The rental period is longer — your choice of 1, 2 or 3 months — however the price is steeper, $30, $40 and $45 respectively. It is only available as a video stream, and it will not be made available as a DVD or download.

My feelings on the matter are in the other thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheeky Girls just brought out the streaming model too (for about the same as raqs.tv).
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aziyade View Post
    Who has the videos only available for one week?

Egyptianize Your Dance with Outi of Cairo : 45 minute seminar | RAQStv - Online Belly Dance Classes

Post Thanks / Like

Outi's is one I would love to have on DVD. I would pay a bit more to get it on DVD but as its only on streaming video, I am out of luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teela View Post
    Outi's is one I would love to have on DVD. I would pay a bit more to get it on DVD but as its only on streaming video, I am out of luck
    Me too. I would have bought it straight away.

Why is this mode of delivery becoming so popular? What's the benefit for the producers?

Post Thanks / Like

Not having to pay for graphic art or physical media (dvd, cases) and printing. It reduces the overheads somewhat meaning that most of the profits go to the teacher instead of paying for the physical product & distribution and associated costs.
    Bellydance in Kyabram!
    Skype classes a specialty.
    Email kyabrambellydance@gmail.com for more information.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darshiva View Post
    Not having to pay for graphic art or physical media (dvd, cases) and printing. It reduces the overheads somewhat meaning that most of the profits go to the teacher instead of paying for the physical product & distribution and associated costs.
    Thank you Darshiva. As a consumer, I really don't see the benefit at all. It seems a much poorer model so I won't be buying into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh DUH!!!! (face palm) Of course! Raqs TV.

Now I understand what you guys are talking about. I didn't realize there was some video content that was not available for purchase. THAT really rubs me the wrong way, especially if it's drills or something you would definitely want to repeat over and over again. (I mean gosh, how many times have I practiced to Ranya Renee's Baladi dvd? At least 100, no kidding.)

It's nice to "rent" a dvd to see if it's something you'd want to purchase if the price was super expensive (like the Zoe Jakes 4-dvd set -- I'd want to rent that first to see if it was something I even wanted to CONSIDER owning in my library.) But if the retail price is under $20, I'm more likely to just buy it and then resell it for half of what I paid for it (not unreasonable) if I don't care for it.

I have done some subscription-based online video classes, which change every month or every week, and most of those I like. It keeps the content fresh, just like a new class every week. And the ones I subscribe to aren't THAT expensive. But I really do prefer dvds or at least downloadable content I can keep. It is not unusual for me at all to grab an old 15-year old VHS tape and decide I want to practice with that for a while. But maybe I'm in that weird minority of "information hoarders."
    Last edited by Aziyade; 07-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bhuz TV offers downloads of their content. You can get the class instantly (or for the time it takes to download

https://www.bhuz.tv/

edited to take out suggestion of potential violation of TOU.

If you film your own butt practicing along with what's being taught, is that ethically wrong?
    Last edited by Aziyade; 09-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aziyade: I was thinking of something like making a copy of the streaming video but then I was struggling with the ethical question of if I am renting the streaming video and I make a copy via whatever method, is it stealing" I am thinking since this is such new technology, this may be a gray area.
    I've seen the Bhuz stuff and want a couple things but again, its the issue of the internet I run into.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast